[06- Resolution]

I ran due east, over and through the mountains without breaking my straight course, until I could see the Seattle on the other side of the sound. I slowed down before I touched the borders of human civilization.

As soon as I stopped, the fury of emotions that I tried to run away from re-emerged. I was so set on my decision but conflicted at the potential consequences. I felt fearful for Bella's safety, nervous for what was going to happen next, and angry that Emmett would choose to kill someone. In a fit of rage, I ripped a boulder out of the ground, the bottom covered in clingy dirt and spidery roots. If I set it down it would be as high as my waist. I threw it forward with all my might; it sailed through the air and into the trees before obliterating a tree on its landing. Although highly satisfying, it didn't really help my mood.

I sat down on the edge of an outcropping of granite. How could Emmett even think of killing a human as a solution? She hadn't done anything to deserve it. How could he not see that?

Out of all of us, I had been transformed the most recently. Perhaps it was easier for me to understand her because it wasn't long ago that I was human.

I suppose the reason Emmett and Jasper wanted to kill her was because they couldn't see her perspective, like I could. They could only see the danger, the 'what would happen if she told someone about us' side. For me, I saw the 'what would happen if she doesn't say anything' side.

Whenever I thought about Bella, I saw myself. A human girl whose life unknowingly intertwined with a vampire's. I knew how vulnerable she was, even if she didn't. I wanted to protect her from harm, just as I would have wished someone did for me.

———

"I'm not ready to talk," I announced as I smelt Emmett's sweet scent, carried by a gust of wind. I wasn't surprised to find him here, he didn't hold grudges like I did.

"Ok let me then," he said calmly, sitting beside me. He gently took one of my balled up fists and placed it in between his palms.

"I'm sorry for what I said. I wasn't taking everything into consideration." He paused and stared into my eyes. I couldn't bring myself to face him so I continued to look down at my sneakers.

"But I meant what I said about protecting my family and you're my family too. I can see how she means to you, or will mean, and how much it would hurt you if something were to happen to her. So I swear to you that I won't harm her."

I smiled softly, my eyes finally meeting his sympathetic expression. Honestly, I was expecting our conversation to turn into a heated argument. Though I should've known Emmett better; he never wanted to hurt people emotionally. Physically, sure. But he was always wanted to treat people well. It was one of the things I loved about him and hated about myself; that I couldn't do the same.

"There are three reasons I have for not killing her," I said as I held up three fingers, "One, it's not right, she's only human. Two, Alice sees Edward falling in love with her. Why take away his chance of happiness? And three-" I paused. "Three is more complicated."

I took a deep breath in and continued, "I can't help but draw comparisons to between Bella and myself. It makes me uncomfortable to think that in my case, when I found out, one of you tried to kill me."

"Well actually-" Emmett began.

"No, I haven't finished. I can kind of understand why you think killing her would solve all our problems but it won't. Imagine what would have happened if Edward wanted to kill me when I found out."

"He could never lay a finger on you," Emmett said harshly, his mouth set in a hard line.

"Exactly my point. Just as Edward trusted me and you. Now you have to trust her. See how things play out. If she is anything like me, her life will be better with a Cullen in it." Emmett gave me a rare, shy smile and kissed the top of my head.

I exhaled deeply, and inhaled, breathing in his scent as a sense of calm finally settled over me. I was always slightly anxious when we were separated from one another, though sometimes I didn't notice it until I was with him again and the feeling disappeared.

I shuffled from the ground onto his lap, nestling my head in the smooth crook of his neck. Our eyes took in each other as I reached for his hand.

"Why do we fight?" He murmured between kisses.

"Because we are equally stubborn and can't admit when we're wrong. Not that I am." He chuckled and together, we watched the sun slowly set.

"We should head back," Emmett said. I opened my eyes from the closest thing I could get to sleep. The sun had completely disappeared, and replacing it, was the gleaming moon, dotted by tiny white stars.

We interwove our fingers and ran back together, our shoulders occasionally brushing each other. We didn't speak, we didn't need to. I knew what he was thinking. A simple look or the slightest change in body language was already a conversation.

Wednesday seemed to go back to normal, though everyone was on high alert. I could tell Edward was refusing to believe Alice's prediction of falling in love with Bella. He did everything to do the opposite; pretending she didn't exist. I had my suspicions on how long it would last.