[03- Alaska]

When Carlisle came home from work, Alice explained everything she knew in depth. Edward was currently in Alaska, near our cousins in Denali. She said he was facing a dilemma, either stay in Forks or run away.

I knew everyone, especially Esme would be heart broken if he left. Edward and I had a special relationship. Even though he was physically younger than I was, he had decades of experience and wisdom. The circumstances of our transformation were extremely similar. We were both almost killed by a disease, until Carlisle saved us. I loved him like a brother and as much as I would want him to be here, I desperately hoped he would find some peace, whether it be with us or alone.

Emmett tried to distract me from the situation through wrestling and true to my over competitive nature, it worked.

"Really, wrestling? Are you serious?"
I cocked an eyebrow as he suggested it for the first time later that day.

"Why? Don't like your odds against me?" He smirked.

"Bring it on."

I followed Emmett out to the backyard, noticing the rest of the family loosely trailing behind us. Alice probably told them this was the fight to watch.

"Last chance to back out," Emmett gloated.

I grinned, "I thought you knew me better."

"Actually before we start, let's make this more interesting," I boasted. "If I win, I want a new monitor. Top of the line. High definition and plasma." Esme and Carlisle laughed.

"And if I win?" he asked.

"Then it's your choice."

His mouth twisted as he contemplated his answer. "Okay, deal."

Emmett and I took separate ends of the yard. I knew I could beat him, I just needed to channel everything Jasper had taught me in our training sessions.

Emmett charged towards me just as he would if he were attacking a bear. Just as he was about to grab me, his hands clapped together noisily. I was already somewhere else. Emmett tried again and again and each time but I dodged him in a different direction—to the left, right, down, around to the side. Just as I could feel his frustration skyrocket, I moved behind Emmett with my teeth at the back of his neck, his head between my arm and body in a headlock. He froze—I won.

Everyone clapped as Emmett sulked.

"I'll order it tonight," he grumbled before stomping off towards river. Had he really taken the loss that hard? I quickly caught up to him.

"Are you mad that I beat you?" My granite fingertips gently caressed his cheek.

He scoffed lightly, then shook his head, "No. As much as I don't like losing, I'm more excited that I've got someone to wrestle and fight with. Edward and Alice cheat, and Esme gets mad if Jasper and I really go at it." I laughed and he kissed my forehead.

Emmett could never get enough wrestling and fighting into his life to suit him and it was rare that he was truly challenged. We were the best suited to compete against one another. I had my speed, he had his strength. We were almost perfectly matched.

For the rest of the week at school, we pretended as though nothing had changed. As we entered the cafeteria, I saw Bella anxiously watch us and then turn away when she saw Edward wasn't with us.

I decided to research this girl, after all I knew nothing about her other than what people mentioned at school. And by research, I meant hacking. It took me 20 seconds to hack into Forks High school's central database and pull up her transcript. She definitely was telling the truth about moving from Phoenix. Interestingly, it appeared as though Bella never participated in any sports. So she was either clumsy, uncoordinated, shy, or a combination of all three. After ten minutes of mindless hacking through anything I could find related to her, I shut my laptop; it seemed like she was relatively... normal.

I wandered out to the living room and found Jasper on his laptop in the dining room.

"Hey El. Actually while you're here do you mind helping me out?"

"Yeah sure. What do you need?" I replied, taking the seat next to him.

"I'm updating our driver's licenses. Do you mind-"

"Clearing things up with the DMV? No problem." He smiled. We often worked together on illegitimate activities; he would get the documents and I would make sure the online records matched.

In this day and age of surveillance and security, we needed to increase our vigilance. A slip up could completely devastate everything Carlisle had established for us. So far, in my ten years of being a vampire, I had probably broken a dozen different felonies including forgery, phishing, and hacking into state and federal databases. My philosophy was if it doesn't hurt anyone, it's ok.

Early next morning, when Emmett and I were playing video games on the couch, Alice announced that Edward was coming back tonight. Honestly, I was surprised. It had been 6 days, part of me just expected he would leave. But they always say prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

And sure enough, late Sunday night, I heard Carlisle's Mercedes pull up the driveway. Esme greeted him warmly, as any mother would.

———

"It's going to be okay," Alice breathed. Her eyes were unfocused, and Jasper had one hand lightly under her elbow, guiding her forward as we walked into the rundown cafeteria in a close group. It kind of reminded me of the secret service; Emmett looking ridiculously like a bodyguard though Jasper looked more irritated than protective.

"Of course it is," Edward grumbled. Personally I didn't feel the need to monitor Edward; if he didn't think he could handle it, he would have stayed home.

"She's not here yet, but the way she's going to come in...she won't be downwind if we sit in our regular spot," Alice resumed.

"Of course we'll sit in our regular spot. Stop it, Alice. You're getting on my nerves. I'll be absolutely fine," Edward said.

"She's coming in," Alice murmured after a few minutes. I saw Edward's body go rigid. "Try to look human."

And this was my cue, "Human, you say?" I squeezed my fist, compacting the loose snow I saved into a dense snowball. Of course it didn't melt in my palm. I smashed the snowball onto Emmett's unsuspecting head. He blinked, surprised, and then grinned in anticipation.

"You asked for it," he said as he leaned across the table and shook his ice- encrusted hair in my direction. The snow, melting in the warm room, flew out from his hair in a thick shower of half-liquid, half-ice.

"Ew!" Alice complained, as we recoiled from the deluge. She held her tray up like a shield and we all laughed. I had no doubt Alice orchestrated this; portraying us as the perfect family, looking happy and most importantly, human.

When the lunch period ended, Edward stayed in his seat and after all the humans filed out, we waited to see what he would do. Alice was almost 100% nothing bad would happen but it was up to him.

"Go to class," he ordered, pushing away from the table, before turning away from us without looking back. I glanced at Emmett and we went to class together.