8| Nightmares

New York City, New York
2:51 A.M
September 5, 2018

   As I sit in class, I can't help but worry about Olivia. I left her at home by herself again, for the second day now. As I was flipping the page in my notebook I receive an amber alert on my phone.

   "3 year old girl - black Chevy equinox - plate number GP6B4".

   I quickly click read more.
   "Olivia Humphrey was reported missing by her father from his New York City, New York mansion. Sources say it is possible she was taken by the child's nanny, Harper Aspen. The child was last seen at a gas station in a Black Chevy Equinox. If you have any information, please call the tips hotline.

   Description:

   Hair: Blonde
   Eyes: Blue
   Weight: 30 pounds
   Height: 3 feet tall
Age:3

   I begin to have a panic attack.

   "No! No!" I shout while falling on the ground.

   Police burst through the door and point their guns at me as students scramble out the classroom

   "I didn't do it!" I shout.

   I am woken up from my horrible nightmare by someone shaking me.

   "Harper wake up, it was just a bad dream," I sit up in bed and gasp for air.

   "How'd you know?" I ask in between breaths.

   "You were screaming," Connor responds.

  "I'm really sorry," I apologize.

   "It's okay, do you want to talk about it?" He asks.

   "Not really," I sigh.

   "That's fine, try to go back to sleep," he tells me before leaving the room.

   I stay fast  asleep until my 7:00 A.M alarms rings, meaning it's time for me to get ready for school.

   "You can't keep doing this," I tell myself while changing into an outfit I can run in.

   "But you're going to anyways," I sigh before heading downstairs.

   I have a few minutes to spare, in which I spend walking around the house. I come across a picture of a young new born baby and a beautiful blonde woman hanging on the wall. As I continue to walk down the dark hallway more and more of these pictures begin to show up.

   A poem is framed in a collage of this blonde woman and the tiny baby.

   It reads,

   "You never said I'm leaving,
You never said goodbye.
You were gone before I knew it,
And only God knew why.

A million times I needed you,
A million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you,
You never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place,
That no one could ever fill.

It broke my heart to lose you,
But you didn't go alone.
For part of me went with you,
The day God took you home".

Connor and his wife aren't divorced! She passed away when Olivia was a baby. I bite my lip, wondering how hard that must have been on Connor.

   I've seen too much and it's time for me to run to school. I take off out the front door, then down the sidewalk. I just barely make it to class on time.

   "Harper, you look rough today,"Gertrude sneers.

   "Gertrude, you look rough everyday," I sneer back while taking my seat.

   What if my nightmare becomes a reality? What if Olivia actually does get kidnapped?

   Think positive Harper. I take a deep breath while the professor begins teaching the class.

   After a forty minute lesson, he starts introducing our first assignment.

   "Alright class, for your first assignment you must write a five page paper over what you are most grateful for. It could be an item, it could be your family, a friend, anything. But whatever you write about, make sure it's something that has changed your life for the better. You have one week." The teacher wraps up the class.

   Once my four hours is up, I run back to Connor's house as quickly as I can.

I don't even walk up the staircase as I had done the previous day. I full on sprint to my room to drop off my bag, before rushing into her bed room.

"Hi Olivia!" I greet her with joy.

We run through our typical routine until I am interrupted by a text message on my phone. Mom, of course.

"Hey sweetie, I miss you, I just thought I'd let you know that you have to pay off at least $10,000 of your debt before October or else, you know... Anyway, love you!"

I sigh before continuing to make Olivia breakfast, or should I say lunch.

As we're eating our grilled cheese sandwiches it begins to storm very hard outside.

"I guess this calls for a movie day," I tell her.

After we eat I put on my favorite Disney movie, The Lion King, for us to watch. However, half way through I fell asleep to the sound of the rain pouring.