Chapter 22

A/N New cover, same story ;)

Chapter 22

Seeing my mother like this, standing in front of me for the first time in years, made my blood run cold.

“What the hell do you want?” I repeated, my voice sounding as if I was choking. I was fighting back tears and trying very hard not to yell for her to get the hell out.

“I just wanted to see you, baby,” she said and for a split second I actually thought she was telling the truth. And then I exploded.

“No!” I shouted, not caring that it made it feel as if my head was going to split down the middle. “You don’t get to come here and tell me you just want to see me. You ran me over with a fucking car and then you left me there in the street as if I was nobody!”

I hadn’t meant to say it, I had actually planned on keeping that little detail to myself, but seeing here standing there made something in me snap. Luke looked outraged at this fact, but he remained quiet and I wanted to thank him for that.

My mother on the other hand began crying and it actually made me that much angrier. “Oh honey, I panicked. I’m already in trouble with the law, I couldn’t risk it.”

I scoffed. “So you left your only child in the road in the hopes that everything would be okay. That’s rich, mother,” I snarled letting the tears spill down my face.

“I think it’s time you left,” Luke touched her shoulder, not giving her much of an option.

“No, allow me,” I said. Not being able to stomach being under the same roof as that woman I ran out into the garage and grabbed a pair of car keys off from the wall and got in.

I didn’t pay attention to where I was going, but I eventually ended up at the stables where Jace had taken me riding. It seemed like forever ago. I parked the car and pocketed the keys before walking onto the trail that led into the forest.

I felt sick to my stomach and for a moment I thought I’d actually throw up, but after retching several times it became clear that my empty stomach had nothing to conjure up for me.

It didn’t take long until I became cold considering I was barefoot in the forest in my pajamas. Not much sun penetrated the trees, which made it that much more uncomfortable. I would be the first one to admit that I hadn’t thought this through, but I couldn’t have stayed in that house a second longer, it was too painful.

A small part of me hoped that when I eventually could bring myself to turn back that she would be gone and that I’d never have to see her again. It had been years since my mother had turned up on the doorstep of the house I was living at, claiming once again that she was sober, that she wanted to be a family again. The joke was always on me.

For the first time for as long as I could remember my life was shaping out to be okay, better than okay. In fact it was great, but I guess I’d peaked because it was dumb of me to think that it could continue that way much longer.

“This sucks,” I muttered out loud and hissed as I stepped on a sharp pebble. It all sucked. The road eventually divided into two and I opted for the left one seeming as the forest seemed to grow thicker there and I didn’t want to be out in the open.

Luckily I didn’t run into anyone, the last thing I wanted was to have to make polite chit chat with a stranger or god forbid, explain why I was in the forest while still in my pj’s.

My goal was to just get rid of everything that was going on inside of my head the more I walked until eventually I had walked so far that I could enjoy the nature for its natural beauty without it being tainted by my mood. Which meant that I had a lot of walking to do.