Chapter 6 (Banner of Nate and Maya)

Chapter 6

Study hall would’ve been a lot more fun if I actually had someone to hang out with. Since it was only the first day I didn’t actually have anything I needed to study, so instead I just wandered the halls, trying to locate the library. Maya was off in Biology apparently and I had promised to meet up with her at lunch, in the mean time I figured I’d kill some time by trying to get to know the place.

After a couple of rounds in the halls I actually began getting a sense of the place and I was actually able to navigate if I used my locker as a starting point. The library was relatively empty when I found it, I would’ve expected it to be dusty, but despite its many books it was all pretty clean. The girl at the desk seemed to be awfully young to be working in a library, weren’t librarians supposed to be really old?

She was tall and blonde, but somehow I got the feeling that she was around my age, maybe a little younger. It might have something to do with the childish face. “Can I help you?” She asked, pulling me out from my thoughts.

“Hi, yeah I’m new. Samantha Collins? I was supposed to pick up some books.”

“Sure, hold on one sec,” she began piling one book after another on the desk, how many classes did I have?! “I’m Amanda by the way, Amanda Miller.”

“As in Jason Miller?”

“Yeah, Jace is my older brother.” Well that verifies the age issue.

“Huh,” small world, I though. “I shot him in the face during Badminton last period, don’t hold it against me,” I winked at her.

She only grinned back, “On purpose I hope?” Now there’s some sisterly love!

“Of course!” I chirped, “Right in the nose.”

She burst out laughing, “Oh thank you, I’m so not gonna let him live that one down for a while.”

I grinned back at her, “You should’ve seen his face, it was hilarious.”

“I bet!” She laughed, “Hey I better get back to this,” She gestured at the clutter around her, “I promised the librarian I would help out, and then I get some extra credit.”

Ah that explained why she was locked up in here… “Have fun!” I mumbled over my stack of books before walking out. These things literally weighed a ton and I felt my arms start tingling with exhaustion before I had even made it halfway.

“Need some help?” A guy asked as he magically appeared by my side.

“Yeah,” I admitted and handed him a little of my tower. He was taller than me and had black curly hair, “Nate right?” I asked.

“Yes, and you must be Samantha.”

“The one and only,” I joked.

We walked in silence for a bit, I didn’t know about him but I found it pretty awkward. He was the one who broke it when we finally reached my locker, “So are you going to the beach party tonight?”

I kept on loading the books into my locker as we spoke, “Beach party?”

“Yeah, it’s an annual thing every night after the first day of school. Everybody goes.”

“I don’t know, I have to check with my uncle first I guess.”

He flashed me a wide smile, “Great way to meet new people,” He taunted.

“I’ll see what I can do,” I laughed.

I walked with him to the cafeteria afterwards and we talked some more while waiting for the bell to ring, it was slightly awkward at first because I didn’t really know him and he wasn’t as outgoing as Maya. At some point the conversation just drifted off and I just laid down across a few chairs humming to myself while he sat on his laptop.