Chapter 19

Dedicated to Lilbratatude beause she endure my constant whining about writer's block without a single complaint, and for that I am grateful :p

Chapter 19

After getting my pills from the pharmacy we stopped by the school to pick up my things, except Jace wouldn’t let me get out of the car. Doctor’s orders he said.  I didn’t try Luke’s phone, figuring he and Carmen were already on a plane out of California.

Jace pulled up into my driveway and killed the engine.

”You have to go back to school,” I said as he started to get out of the car.

”Nah, it’s fine.”

”Jace, seriously, I’m fine. Fredrick gave me meds, I’m just gonna go straight to sleep.” I gave him a pointed look and crossed my arms in mere stubbornness. ”I’m not letting you cut class for me.” I said with finality.

”You sure?”

”Yes, I’m perfectly fine. See?” I said and stepped out of the car, careful not to put any pressure on my right leg, knowing he’d see straight through my limping.

He narrowed his eyes, “Fine. Walk.” He challenged.

”You’re so stubborn! I’m not a damsel in distress, Jace! I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself!” Fatigue was beginning to get the best of me and I felt my fuse getting shorter and shorter. I hated coming off as needy, it just wasn’t in my nature.

He grabbed my bag from the back seat and swung out of the car, “See, Angel, that’s what makes us such a good match. I too just happen to be perfectly capable of taking care of you as well,” he winked at me before putting his hand on my waist and I conceded by leading into him and put my arm around his neck, trying not to smile at his words.

“Okay, fine, but promise you’ll go back to school as soon as I am safely inside.”

“You trying to get rid of me, Angel?”

“No, but if you didn’t get in trouble it would mean you could come back faster,” I subtly suggested as he helped me up the few steps to the front door. I got out my key to unlock the door, but it was already open, “Huh, that’s weird, it should be locked,” I said out loud.

“Where’s your uncle?” Jace inquired.

“He’s going on a business trip and Carmen and Taylor are going with to visit family, but they should’ve left by now.”

Just as I said it, Luke came out from the kitchen holding a mug which probably contained coffee, “Hey there kiddo, what are you doing home?” He then seemed to observe that I was leaning on Jace and not walking properly because his whole demeanor changed, “Jesus, Samantha! What happened? are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” I told him in a way too cheery voice, “I just need to lie down for a bit, shouldn’t you be on a plane by now?” I asked, trying to deflect.

“Don’t try changing the subject,” apparently my uncle was not that dense then…  “What happened?”

I sighed, “I have Shingles, okay?”

“It’s all fine, Mr. Collins. I took her to the hospital to see my sister’s fiancé and he prescribed her some medicine.”

Luke seemed to go a few shades paler at the mention of hospital. “What happened, if I may ask? Seeming as you’re still in your gym clothes and all.”

I sighed, detaching myself from Jace and limped my way into the kitchen and poured myself a cup of black coffee, might as well get an energy boost from this situation. I planted myself on a stool before answering him, they’d both followed me like obedient dogs.