Chapter 14

"How do you feel about a new relationship? I'm sure you will meet more than one cute boy in college." Laura throws out the random question , not even looking at Payton.

There is a silence. Payton's brow furrows and she rubs her right hand over the leather under her fingers.

"I...don't plan on meeting any boys. My plan is to finish school and head over to grad school." Laura's head rises from the papers she's been organizing to make it look as if she isn't asking about anything important.

"You don't think you will be in a relationship again?"

"I don't think so."

"Why is that?" the question is rhetorical, she knows she would not get the answer she is waiting for but she asks it anyway.

"I will be too busy studying, that's all."

"You know not all boys are like Jimmy." The horror in Payton's eyes is so visible it hurts Laura to look at it. And yet this poor girl is sitting here, pretending that the reason she ended up in this so-called accident, has nothing to do with Jimmy. She gets up from her desk and walks over to the sofa across from Payton, sits down and looking at the broken girl in front of her. " When the time comes, try not to compare your future to your past, try to paint on a clean, white canvas instead of covering the bad picture."