Chapter 8

A Red Mercedes with plate number USC675 was standing at the green light and refused to move even though several people in the cars behind were honking, urging the driver to move. A few seconds after the red light appeared, the driver of the red Mercedes sped forward, even though the car on the left side was visible and dangerously close.

"That's what the report says, Payton." Laura's voice cuts through the empty room. She lowers the papers to her lap and leans back in her big leather chair that is right across from Payton's. "It's pretty clear that you didn't drive over that red light by accident Payton, you might think you did, because you are trying hard to convince yourself that you are strong and that you would never ever think about doing anything stupid, like harming yourself. But the truth is Payton; you were trying to kill yourself. That was a suicide attempt and maybe it's time you acknowledged that."

Payton's legs uncross and cross again, her hand reaches her bruised cheek and she strokes it slowly, eyes looking somewhere in front of her.

"When you are ready, I'm here for you. I want you to remember that."

"I was confused, I had one beer and I guess I was tired and sleepy, I would never do something like that." Her voice is strong and steady and any other person would believe that she is telling the truth, but not Laura. She keeps looking at Payton with a stoic expression, but her brain is in overdrive, trying to find a way, a crack that she could slip into and use to open that Pandora's Box inside Payton's head.