Chapter 10

Friday evening. Sun shining through the tiny clouds. Music in my ears and my feet moving forward at a steady pace.

Definitely not an ordinary Friday evening for a college girl. I'm sure that probably every other single girl on campus is putting her makeup on or standing in front of her closet trying to decide what she would wear tonight. For some it might be their lucky night, maybe they will meet the love of their lives, or maybe they would finally give up something to someone and became women. That's what Sam is aiming for at least. I can't believe she asked me to cover for her in case Ryder ever asks me how was that new Thai restaurant that opened a few weeks ago. She didn't even tell me the name of the restaurant so I have to remember to Google that when I get back. But then, he never asks me about his sister, ever. Why would he ask now? I don't think it's likely, but I agree to cover the fact that she is going to some club, using a fake ID, with the guy that she is head over heels in love with. That's what she said at least.

I think I'm on my fourth mile when my playlist ends and I run in silence for a minute or so when I hear stomping behind me. I don't slow down or turn around, but I can tell that whoever is behind me is also a runner, so instead, I speed up a little bit. The steps behind me also speed up. Ok, creepy.

I spot a bench in front of me and I slow down with a brilliant plan to stretch so that someone will pass me and stop scaring the shit out of me. I come to a stop and put my foot up on the bench, lowering my torso to my upper leg, and touching my feet, I stretch.

"I almost didn't recognize you with your hair up." My hair up? Oh. My. God. My hair is up. I'd had enough of my hair flying around my face and in my face for the past week, so I decided to put it up while I run. There are not many runners at this time of the day so it's not like I would bump into someone as a rule. Besides even when I do pass someone they are way too much into their running to look around at whoever is running next to them.

While still standing with my back to him, I bring my hands behind my head to grab a hood. Shit! I'm not wearing a hood because those two I own are in the laundry basket. Double shit! I guess this the moment when I turn around and face reality. I take a deep breath and spin on my heel slowly.

"I didn't know you were running." His eyes move to the part of me I was hiding pretty well until now. I watch him. I watch his eyes linger on my scars for a tad too long, then his eyes move to my eyes. Those coal black, eyes looking straight into my petrified soul.

I shrug. "I just started...again." He nods and drags his teeth over his bottom lip.

"That's why you hide it?" His eyes flick to my face again.

Do I want to go there? Do I want to talk about things it took me months to talk about with my shrink? I look at him for a moment and take in his narrowed eyes and this familiar dip in his cheek then I move past him without a word and start running. I run as fast as I can. I run till my legs are aching and my lungs are on fire. I run. I run from my past. I run from the stupid little girl I was. I run from him. I run from his questions. I run.

When I come back from the shower there is a blinking light on my phone lying on the desk. I walk over and pick it up. There is a text message from Biggest Douchebag. I furrow my brows and open it.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to invade your personal space.

You should wear your hair up all the time.

Of course, Sam would put his phone number on my phone but how the hell did he get my number, and what is that supposed to mean? He's sorry? For asking a question that I've heard over a million times? You should wear you hair up. Yeah. I guess that is the best advice I got in my whole life.