Part 2: Chapter 2

THE MAN WHO originally locked the door pats me down nervously and from his actions, I can tell he is extremely nervous.

He finds the syringe I had tucked into my pocket and twirls it between his fingers before handing it off to another colleague of his.

"Why are you in such a hurry to find an ex-FBI Agent?" A man with rimhorn glasses and greying hair questions, rising from his spot in the corner carefully.

"You'd have to ask my boss about that buddy; I'm only here because the pay of an ensign really doesn't feed a family of seven," The nervous man who patted me down replies to the man.

Since the two are so close to the counter, I cross my fingers and hope Spence caught what the man just said.

"Wow, seven; how old are your kids?" I question offhandedly.

"Um, we have quintuplets; they're all six," He replies nervously, his eyes flickering to his colleagues.

"Wow; I have three, I can't even imagine five; you and your wife must be so busy," I reply, inching closer to the counter as he takes a step forward to keep our conversation private.

"Yeah, we are," He replies quickly before returning to the center of the room as he is beckoned over by the leader.

With their attention turned away; I duck back behind the counter.

Carrie barely looks up; her hands folded and eyes squinched shut as she prays silently, her lips mouthing the words.

My fingers curl around my cellphone as I pull it out, noticing the call is still going at 20 minutes. We have ten minutes before they kill a hostage.

"They will kill a hostage every half an hour," I whisper into the phone, peering back up over the counter gingerly to make sure they're still distracted.

"So we have 10 minutes; do you know what they want Nat?" Spence's voice floods into my ear.

"They want the wife of an FBI Agent who is also an ex-agent; sound familiar?" I joke wryly.

"Nat, don't do it; we'll find a way in," Spence pleads.

"You heard the whole ensign with quintuplets thing, right?" I question.

"Yeah, I heard that," Spence adds.

"Quintuplets aren't all too common Spence; find him, there has to be a money trail," I reply.

"We will Nat; but you do realize what this means if that man is Navy," Spence sighs.

"I know Spence; hold your ground, they can't be that scary," I joke.

"I love you Spence," I blurt before placing the phone back in its spot before I am figured out.

I stand up quickly after checking Carrie's shoulder, just in time. The group turns back to take their places and the leader speaks up.

"Well, it seems since no one has decided to step up and name our mystery woman, we will have to-uh- influence her decision," He grins, grabbing the grey haired man from earlier.

He holds a gun to the man's head and grins widely, his eyes filled with ten types of crazy.

"Anybody have any objections or information they would like to entertain us with?" He chuckles.

"I do," I pipe up, catching his attention.

"Natalia," Garth warns under his breath.

"Did you really think a half hour would work to find an FBI Agent; you have to give us more time," A patient pipes up from the back, her arms crossed, annoyed to say the least, as she blows a strand of blonde hair away from her face.

"You know what boss; I think she has a point," The man who had been holding a gun to Dr. Hawthorne pipes up.

Now that I think of it; I haven't seen Dr. Hawthorne since the beginning of this whole ordeal; which is extremely suspicious.

"Fine; a half hour more and then we'll have some real fun; what can I say, I'm a nice person," He grins, dropping the grey haired man.

He steps closer to the woman who spoke and she cowers just the slightest in fear as he drags the tip of the gun down her cheek.

"Just because you were so kind as to offer up that suggestion darling; we'll allow you to take his place," The man chuckles, motioning towards the grey haired man.

"If you kill a woman; aren't you potentially killing the woman you're after?" Garth questions and I groan inwardly when I realize what he's playing after.

"She isn't a patient; is she?" The leader growls at Garth.

"She is a nurse here; she's off duty visiting family," Garth lies fluidly through his teeth.

"Hmm, you do have a point; thanks for volunteering," The leader replies.

When they turn away once again, I yank Garth by the arm and behind the counter.

"You dumbass; why would you do that?" I hiss angrily, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"What; did you really want me to leave one of our patients in danger?" He whispers incredulously.

"No, I wanted you to be the one to tell them who I was; now it'll just look like your trying to cover your own ass if you tell them!" I groan angrily.

"Why would you tell them Nat, that's a stupid idea!" He whisper-screams.

"They want information; it's easy enough to see Garth; they won't kill me until they have it, which buys us a few more hours," I reply.

"So, you actually believe that; I thought you were supposed to be the profiler," A voice pipes up from beside us, causing me to jump.

The grey haired man crouches beside us in amusement. He is kind of freaking me out so the first thing I do of course is acting on pure instinct.

I grab a syringe within reach and slam him against the wall, needle aimed at his throat.

"Who the hell are you and how do you know that?" I whisper angrily, barely touching the tip of the needle to his throat to freak him out.

"Get that syringe away from my neck Doctor and we'll talk," He chuckles, surprisingly level headed.

A/N:
I will practically die if anyone can guess who the mystery man is from my subtle clues. Don't spoil it for anyone else if you get it! Message me first directly with the correct name and you will get a shout out in my next chapter. Let the games begin! 😂👌