Chapter 7

"What Is Man; But An Undaunted Beast With The Heart Of Both Savage And Coward"
○------------------------------------------------○

THE RAVEN HAIRED woman who I have come to know now only as mom strolls into the room with George, my adoptive father.

"Mom," I smile groggily at her, noticing she's worried.

"You scared me Natty!" She rushes over to me and pulls me into awkward hug, which I gladly sink into.

"You had us all so worried, especially when your sister called us a second time to tell us you were here!" She huffs as I bury my head in her chest.

"I know, I'm sorry, and I promise I'll be more careful!" I grin, pulling George in for a hug as well.

"That's what you say every time silly!" Mom laughs, just as the tean enters the room, attracting her attention.

"You must be Natalia's parents," Hotch smiles slightly, offering my mother his hand.

"Is that your boss?" George whispers and I nod my head.

"And that must be the Spencer Reid you always talk about," George chuckles softly, pointing to Spence who's currently engrossed in a conversation with my sister.

"Dad," I warn him as Spence makes his way towards us.

"Fine, I'll leave you two, I'm going to grab something from the cafeteria, are you hungry?" He chuckles, pushing himself up from the chair.

"Yeah, can you get me a jello, Morgan stole mine," I laugh, pointing at the empty cup on my tray.

"Of course Natty, have fun," He grins, looking pointedly at Spence before planting a kiss on my forehead and strolling from the room.

"Hey," Spence greets softly as I shoot him a small smile.

"So, those are your parents?" Spence questions, taking a seat.

"Yeah, kind of," I murmur as a reply.

"So, the doctor said you might be able to head back home today," JJ smiles as she reaches us, interrupting our conversation which is welcome.

"Finally, have I ever told you how much I hate hospitals?" I chuckle.

"Too many times to count, it would help though if you stayed out of them," Rossi laughs from beside me.

"Not going to happen," I sing as my sister makes her way to my side of the bed.

"Are you ready to go?" Sherrie questions, a smile playing on her lips.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I reply.

[B.A.U JET]

My head bobs as I start to fall asleep, but knowing I need to speak to Spence when the plane lands keeps me awake.

I make my way to the front of the plane, where the only other person awake happens to be Hotch.

Spence is passed out on the couch, JJ is sprawled across the table fast asleep, and Morgan and Rossi are asleep in the back. To be honest, it's too quiet.

"Hey," I smile sleepily to Hotch who continues to paw through his reports.

"How are you doing?" Hotch murmurs without bothering to look up.

"I'm good, I was just wondering if I really had to take time off?" I question, knowing very well the answer.

"Yes, you need to take some time off, you've been to the hospital twice this week," Hotch deadpans.

"It was worth a try," I chuckle before making my way back to my seat where I promptly fall asleep.

[QUANTICO]

I lug my bag out of the elevator, unable toss it over my shoulder like usual.

The wind is knocked out of me when Garcia wraps me in a bear hug. Her hands brush against my back, sending a nagging pain throughout my body.

"Garcia...can't...breathe," I spit out as she reliquishes her hold.

"I'm sorry, I just can't believe you're still whole!" She practically cries as she trails behind me to my desk.

"Hey, we're going to head out for dinner and drinks together, are you two ladies in?" Morgan questions us.

"Of course!" Garcia exclaims, looking to me for an answer.

"Nah, I'm just going to head home and get some sleep," I wave them off.

"Fine, I'm going to be over everyday to make sure you don't get bored, ok?" Garcia calls out as she rushes after Morgan.

"Got it!" I reply, packing up my things.

A tap on my good shoulder spins me around, this time to face Spence.

"Hey, are you going to be ok?" He questions.

"Yes, I'll be fine Spence," I smile, shoving the last of my papers into my bag.

"Hey, I can get a taxi if you want to go out with the team Spence," I tell him as he waits for me to finish.

"No, I'm not really feeling sociable tonight," He replies and with that, we make our way to the elevators and out of the building.

[NATALIA'S APARTMENT]

"I thought you weren't feeling sociable?" I grin down at Spence.

"I always love game night," Spence chuckles, spinning the wheel.

"Left foot red!" I yell as we continue our game of Twister.