Chapter 21

"To Have Someone Understand Your Mind Is A Different Kind Of Intimacy"
○------------------------------------------------○

MY FINGERS FLY across the screen, tapping out a reply to Morgan as JJ peers over my shoulder.

Detain the agent at front desk. Don't let them leave building.

"Ok, I'm lost here Nat so..." JJ starts.

"That number I just dialed is one of the frequently called numbers and when I called, the phone downstairs rang," I explain as we bolt from the room and back to the confused team.

"How does the agent at the front desk play into this?" Hotch questions gruffly, for once looking completely baffled.

"That's exactly where my thinking stops; I don't know how she plays into this," I sigh.

"Well, Morgan's bringing her up so let's ask her ourselves," Rossi grins, leaning back in his chair.

So we wait, although waiting's never been my forte.

I tap my foot impatiently, not even noticing until Spence places a hand on my leg to stop it from shaking.

"You're doing it again," He grins, in reference to my habit.

Just before I can reply, a commotion in the hall grabs our attention.

I race to the door and notice the agent from the front desk thrashing in Morgan's arms; luckily, she's handcuffed.

I notice she did do some damage before being cuffed though, a visible jagged scratch running from the corner of Morgan's eye to his chin advertising her handiwork.

"Get your filthy hands off me, you have no business arresting me!" She shrieks, refusing to move her legs as Morgan tries to lead her towards the interrogation room.

"Yes, currently, we can hold you for assault and something else is bound to show up later; that being said, if you cooperate, maybe we can inform the jury of your willingness to cooperate," I rattle off, making the woman pause.

"Go. To. Hell." She spits out, again starting to thrash.

"Morgan, I'll take her legs, you take her arms," I sigh, grabbing her legs and using all my strength to hold them in place.

We somehow maneuver the wriggling and screaming woman into the interrogation room, handcuffing her to the table.

"Let us know if you need anything," Morgan practically sneers, stomping from the room and leaving me to trail behind.

"You need a bandaid?" I question, pointing at the surprisingly large cut running down his face, crimson droplets trickling down it.

"Probably," He sighs, running the back of his hand across the cut.

I nod my head and rush over to Spence, who looks as if he's off in another world.

"Spence, can you grab Morgan a bandaid while I go find an agent to watch the front desk?" I question, yanking my hair back into a high ponytail.

"Of course; where would those be exactly?" He laughs nervously.

"Check my duffel, I always keep a first aid kit on hand," I yell as I rush off down the hallway and towards the stairs.

It had been a few hours since the shooting and the elevator was still roped off.

I dash down the flight of stairs and past the crime scene techs, noticing someone I've worked with in the past, Agent Massar.

I stroll up to her and clear my throat awkwardly, nearly jumping from my skin when she whirls around to face me.

"Oh, Agent Wilde; what can I do for you?" She questions curtly, slightly adjusting her beige hijab.

"I was wondering if you had any agents to spare to watch the front desk that you trust; we had a slight incident with the last agent," I chuckle, motioning towards the overturned supplies on the desk.

"I can put Agent Johnston on it; I trust him with my life," She replies earnestly, motioning the man over.

"What's up?" He questions Agent Massar, and her slight smile doesn't go unnoticed.

"Can you watch the front desk for Agent Wilde here; she needs to know someone trustworthy is watching those doors," Agent Massar explains.

"Yeah, I can do that," He addresses Agent Massar, completely ignoring me.

I can't help but allow a small, but faint grin to slink onto my lips.

"What are you smiling at?" Agent Massar questions curiously.

"You must have forgotten Zahira; I'm a profiler," I grin, wiggling my eyebrows in the direction of Agent Johnston.

She blushes a deep red and practically pushes me towards the stairs.

"Go back to your profiling Nat; we've got it covered down here," She sighs, most likely at my slight bout of immaturity.

"Fine; make sure to have Agent Johnston report any suspicious behavior down here to the BAU; we'll be here quite a while anyway," I chuckle.

"Aye aye captain," She jokes.

I shoot her a quick wave goodbye and rush up the seemingly endless flight of stairs.

Now all that's left to do is interrogate the agent who had been on duty. Some things are easier said than done, though.

A/N:
Hi everyone! Ok, so I haven't been on in a while, but since next week is Spring Break for me, I'm going to try to get in 10 more chapters possibly, which will lead us to this book's end. I currently am not thinking about a sequel after this book is done as I have another book I would like to write in mind. Thank you so much for all the reads as well! This book is now past 7,000 reads!