Chapter 18

"Join Your Flames Together And Shine In The Blackest Of Night"
○------------------------------------------------○

TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST, I sort of forgot how long it takes to get to the BAU due to my long leave of absence.

After the whole New York incident, I shut down. I had known Mia longer than any of my friends at the BAU, and hell, I even entrusted her with the life of my daughter which she took to heart.

How do you move on after watching someone you love and care about sacrifice themself for your own flesh and blood?

I never really got on board with the whole counseling thing, either. Surprise, the woman with a PHD in psychology hates therapists!

When I was forced to go to it after my father killed my mother; I swore I would never go back because that would mean my life had flipped all over again.

Spence was actually the one who convinced me to go this time, after Mia died.

Died. That's the first word she made me use. Mia did not leave, Mia did not pass, Mia died. It's a funny word in a way. Somehow, it has the ability to complete a story, wrap up all those loose ends. Died.

I shake my head quickly, pulling into the parking lot of Quantico.

Spence looks up from his paperwork quizzically before noticing our arrival.

"Oh, we're here," He notes, tucking away all his papers neatly.

Usually, it's my favorite thing to tease him about. The genius with no sense of time.

I throw the driver's side door open and yank out my duffel bag wordlessly, a bit worried to say the least about heading back. It feels too soon, but I of all people know it will give me something to occupy my mind with.

"Ready?" Spence questions softly, motioning with his head towards the double doors at the front of the building.

I quickly nod so I don't give myself a chance to back out.

Although I know he doesn't usually like me doing so, I grab his hand as we head in.

Lucas, the agent who usually greets us at the front desk is gone and replaced with a grumpy looking, older woman. Most likely an older agent who refused to retire.

"Good morning!" I greet her as we fly past towards the elevators.

"No, it really isn't," She grumbles, taking a long swig of her coffee before answering the ringing phone.

I shoot Spence a questioning glance, earning myself a shoulder shrug as a response.

The doors slide shut rather quickly and I press the floor number, watching as the numbers whiz by.

Suddenly, the elevator is jerked to a stop and I start to stumble to the ground, my descent being stopped by Spence.

The shrill sound of a siren reaches my ears and I feel a shiver run up my back when I realize what is happening.

"Spence, was there a drill scheduled today you neglected to tell me about?" I question him calmly.

"Not that I was aware of," He frowns, continuing to press random buttons.

"Nat, I don't like this, people can die in these!" He practically exclaims, banging his fist on the door.

"On average, around 26 people die due to elevators each year Spence and I didn't see you freaking out in the car when 26 people die every hour due to car accidents," I rattle off absentmindedly.

"Now I know how it feels to be at the other side of the conversation," He murmurs.

"What?" I question, crossing my arms jokingly.

"Nothing," He replies quickly as I slide my back down the wall to wait as the siren continues to blare.

I whip out my phone and search for a signal, my face twisting in confusion when I realize there's no signal whatsoever.

I can feel my chest tightening a bit as I frantically press the alarm, hoping desperately for someone to respond.

Just because I tried to calm Spence down doesn't mean I will be calm.

I'm alright with being in an enclosed space when I know it will open and this will not open.

"Nat, it's not going to open," Spence sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Why are we even on lockdown?" I groan, pulling out my phone once again to search for signal.

I don't have to wait very long for my answer.

I can hear outside the unmistakable pops of gunfire, causing us to both jump to our feet.

I must of spaced out because suddenly, Spence is shaking me and pulling me to the side of the wall.

We press our backs against the wall, as bullets whiz through the doors.

"I just had to ask," I mumble as gunfire continues outside the doors.

A/N:
Yay, finally! Chapter 18 is up! I know I said would get better with my updates, but I have tests and papers galore crammed into these weeks before Spring Break so Selcouth will get new chapters, 2 at least, on Saturdays and Sundays unless I get a free moment to spare during the weekday. Hellooo sleep deprivation!👌😅