Chapter 19

"Insanity: Doing The Same Thing Over & Over Again & Expecting Different Results"
○------------------------------------------------○

THE GUNFIRE STOPS as quickly as it began and soon, shouts from outside the elevator door are heard.

"Is there anyone in there?" A voice sounds from outside as I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in.

"Yes, there's two of us in here!" I call back.

"Hold on, I'm going to open the doors!" The voice replies and before I can even shoot down the possibility of the person opening the doors, they slide open with ease.

A man with a mess of carrot colored hair cocks his head at us curiously as Spence and I stare in awe.

"How-what, never mind," I sigh, grabbing the hand he offers in order to pull myself up a floor. My back aches at the strain and I chalk it up to being out of practice; although it's not like I climb out of an elevator everyday.

I slip as soon as my feet touch the ground and nearly fall into the man. I catch myself though and gulp when I notice what I slipped in.

"Here Spence," I offer, curling my fingers around his hand to help him up.

When we're safely out of the elevator, we take in the chaos around us.

I count three GSW's within eyesight, but no shooter. All I see is a cast aside duffel filled with guns. How the shooter got in with them is beyond me.

I freeze just a bit and nearly facepalm at my stupidity. Who was the only person in here who hadn't been injured in the midst of the shooting and had eagerly helped two FBI agents out of the stuck elevator rather than attending to the injured?

I whip my gun from my holster, only to find his gun already trained on Spence.

"Do you really want to pull that crap with me sweetie or do you want to leave here in handcuffs rather than a body bag?" I sneer, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Touch a nerve there Agent?" He grins, digging the barrel of his gun into Spence's shoulder.

I roll my eyes at him and his choice of gun placement. If I shot him now, Spence would come away with a flesh wound.

Before I can even make the shot, a bang erupts from the other side of the room and the man holding Spence crumples to the ground.

I peer at the source of the shot and my eyes land on an agent with blood pouring from her stomach.

She lowers her weapon shakily and slumps back against the wall with a weak grin.

I dash over to her and start to staunch the bleeding with my blazer, the tan fabric blossoming with crimson.

"Spence, get a medics up here and then help the others!" I order quickly, pushing a strand of black hair away from the woman's eyes.

"Stay awake for me, focus on my voice," I tell her, wishing the medics would get here faster.

"Got it doc," She giggles, her eyes starting to flutter shut.

I quickly slap her cheeks, wincing at the audible slap.

She looks up at me, dumbfounded to say the least.

"What was that for?" She huffs, raising a shaky hand to her smarting cheeks.

"You need to stay awake!" I practically shout, noticing the medics flooding in.

"Hey, I have one over here, GSW to the right upper abdomen, I'd say it nicked the liver!" I yell to them, stepping away to allow the medics to move in with a stretcher.

"I'm Angela," The woman calls out as they get her onto the stretcher.

"I'm Natalia," I reply as they roll her away.

As soon as they leave, I rush to the bathroom, knocking Spence's hand away in the process as I feel bile creeping up my throat. It doesn't help that I can also feel the beginning of a migraine surging up.

I make it just in time and empty my Cheerios into the toilet bowl.

"Nat, are you ok?" Spence calls worriedly through the thick door.

"Uh, yeah, I think," I call back, a bit surprised at the sudden onset of sickness.

I run my blood soaked hands under the water furiously, scrubbing as hard as I can, attempting to rid myself of it.

I can't help but feel like I've been getting way too much blood on my hands.

I take a deep breath before composing myself and slinking from the bathroom.

The team has already gathered and I straighten up when I notice the Director is here flanked by numerous agents.

"Sir," I acknowledge him with a nod, folding my hands as I eye him curiously.

"With all due respect sir, how were you able to get here so fast?" Emily questions him, her eyebrow raised.

"I was here originally to see how things were running, and I was on this exact floor where the shootings occurred..." The Director trails off, as if lost in thought.

"And you believe this was an attempt on your life," Hotch finishes for him, his eyes going dark.

"I have reason to believe someone is after government officials and now I have reason to believe the deaths of Senator John Terry and Director Daphne White of the CDC are related to this incident; I would appreciate the BAU looking into this if you don't mind," The Director booms.

"Not at all sir, we'd be willing to look into all the possibilities," Hotch nods, stepping away to talk with him privately.

"So, this is one hell of a first day back, how are you feeling so far girly?" Morgan questions, leaning against the wall beside me.

"Like I'm going to throw up again," I sigh, trying to ignore the way my stomach is tossing and turning.

"Do you want me to grab you a water real quick, can't have you blowing chunks all over the Director, can we?" He chuckles, jerking his head towards the man.

"Yeah, I don't think that would do wonders for my reputation; do you mind?" I question.

"Nope, not at all girly; I'll be back with that water real quick!" He chuckles, rushing towards the break room.

"What was that all about?" JJ laughs, taking Morgan's spot.

"He's grabbing me a water; I must have caught a bug or something," I sigh, picking at my fingernails.

"Are you sure it's just a bug?" She questions softly, just barely audible.

A/N:
Dun dun dunnnnnn!!!
Ok, so this is actually one of my longest chapters to make up for my random updates! I've decided this book will only be going on for a couple chapters longer before I wrap it up. I'm thinking to Chapter 25 to be honest. Don't forget to hit me up with feedback, I can always use some pointers on how to improve my writing!
P.S: Who else is loving Angela?? I'm just imagining her as Zoe Kravitz because that woman is G-O-A-L-S!!