Chapter 9

"No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent"
○------------------------------------------------○

I NEVER looked back when I left my position as head of Neurosurgery. I also never looked back when I left my ex-boyfriend of 3 years, Nicholas Daniels.

"Are you ready to head in Nat?" JJ questions worriedly, her forehead creasing.

Taking in a deep, shaky breath, I nod.

We throw open the car doors and make our way to the entrance of the bricken building, our footsteps heavy against the asphalt.

"Nat, are you going to tell me why you don't like Lenox Hill?" Spence whispers to me as JJ throws open the doors.

I shake my head at him wordlessly and hurry to catch up with JJ.

The inside of the hospital is a whole different atmosphere from outside, with terrified screams of pain and agony filling the space.

We flash our badges as we make our way past the wall of officers stationed near the front.

I stop myself from advancing into the hospital by stopping to speak to an officer.

"Hello, I'm Agent Wilde with the BAU and I was wondering if you responded to the incident?" I question, refraining from using the word bomb or explosion.

"I'm Officer Jett and I was one of the first on the scene," The young officer replies, a look of shock still on his face.

I sigh inwardly, knowing he is most likely fresh out of the Academy and has never responded to something this high level before.

"Why don't we go sit down and get you something for that leg, ok?" I ask him, pointing to his busted open leg that I'm surprised he's still walking on.

"Uh, yeah, ok," He rushes out, attempting to take a step before his leg buckles.

I rush to catch him, struggling under the weight he places on my shoulder.

"Hey, let me help you out with that," A familiar voice reaches my ears and I quickly duck my head, mumbling a quick ok.

We get the officer to a chair near the front and when I finally look up, it's into the cloudy grey eyes of Nicholas Daniels.

Without another word, I attempt to make my way out of the situation until his eyes finally flicker with recognition.

"Natalia?" He blurts out, his attention pulled from the injured officer.

"Nick," I sigh, pushing the hairs from my face nervously.

"There you are Nat!" Spence calls from somewhere behind me.

His voice catches the attention of Nick and I both as we turn to stare at the man awkwardly.

"Are you coming?" Spence questions, looking between us curiously.

"Yeah, I'm coming," I murmur, attempting to make my way after him.

"Nat," Nick sighs, grasping my forearm.

"Don't call me that, you lost that privilege years ago," I hiss, yanking my arm back.

I hold my hand up to stop Spence as we weave through the hallways to make our way back to JJ.

"Is he the reason you didn't want to come here?" Spence questions anyway.

"Yes and some other reasons I would rather not discuss," I mutter before plastering on a smile and making my way up to JJ and the group of my former coworkers she seems to be talking to.

"So, which patients are awake and able to speak to us?" JJ questions them as I take my place at her side.

"I'd say rooms 523, 547, and 559," Dr. Wang replies absentmindedly, scribbling notes on the chart in her arms.

"Can we get some names and injuries for the people in those rooms Wang?" I sigh impatiently as her head flies up at the sound of my voice.

"Of course," She mumbles, handing me three charts from the cart beside her.

"JJ, you take room 523, and Spence, you take 547," I announce, passing them their respective charts.

"Dr. Wilde, you are a sight for sore eyes," Dr. Wang grins as the group around us disperses.

"Likewise," I laugh, wrapping her in a quick hug.

"So, FBI, huh?" She raises an eyebrow as the words leave her mouth.

"Come on Mia, let's not do this here," I reply uncomfortably, my eyes flicking around the room at the mess of people.

"We will talk, sooner or later," She mumbles, scribbling a series of numbers on a ripped piece of paper before shoving it into my hands.

With that, she disappears into the throngs of people leaving me with a lump in my throat.

I push it down and peer down at the chart in my hands, shaking my head slightly when I recognize the name.