TASK 1 blackrose54 entry

My eyes are blue.

There not light blue or dark blue, there just blue. They used to be light blue, but then they went dark. My blue eyes have seen so many reaping’s every year since I can remember. And this year I got to see my own name read out to the crowd. I didn’t feel surprised. I had been putting more of my name in there for years because of tesserae. The woman at the front just read out the letter J; which is my name, but she didn’t know that. Everyone looked confused until I stood to my feet and moved to the stage. There was soon going to be a boy next to me. And soon I’d have to kill him. And soon I’d have to kill everyone else in The Hunger Games too. But that didn’t matter now. 

My eyes burned into me as I looked in the mirror. I looked away hastily and looked down at myself. I was in the same clothes as I was at the reaping. A cream baggy top that just covered my bum, with a small lace up at the front and flowing elbow length sleeves, and a pair of tight black leggings. I had lace up black shoes on too, simple pumps. I swallowed. I didn’t have style and I wasn’t the best looking. I wasn’t as strong of a contender as everyone else. I’d seen last year’s tributes. They were all gorgeous and beautiful. I wasn’t like that at all. My hair looked horrible too. Lank and greasy; no sponsor would pick me. I had quite a sweet face though apparently, that’s what people had told me. So maybe it wasn’t completely over for me. In the mirror, my eyes locked on my own, and I stared deep into myselfMy mind flashed back to earlier at the reaping. My name had just been called, and my stomach had twisted into a thousand knots. I felt sick, bile rising in my throats. I’d seen all the Hunger Games since being born. They were sick and I was terrified of them, and now I was about to become part of them. I am the girl tribute from district 7 for this year’s edition of the petrifying hunger games. My knees shook as I walked up to the stage, trying to keep my body from turning and running in the other direction. I heard whispers and murmurs as I walked through the crowd.

“Look at her, who’s she?”

“She won’t last two seconds, I mean; she’s clearly got no skill”

“I don’t even know who she is. It’s doubtful she’ll get any sponsors at all, look at the state of her. Eww!”

I stepped up to the stage, and I shuffled next to the crazy lady announcing everything. I kept my head high but my eyes above the crowd. I couldn’t stand to look at any of them, especially after hearing that from them.

“Your name is J?” The lady asked, her voice a little high pitched. Her eyes were scanning me, and her capital brain was ticking away, clearly judging me and making presumptions. I remember I smoothed down my top, trying to tidy myself up. It didn’t work, and I realised that I hadn’t answered yet, and everyone was staring at me.

“Ye-Yes” I replied, my voice cracking a little. The woman nodded, and turned her attention back into the crowd. Everyone’s attention seemed to be diverted away from me even though I knew all the cameras were still on me. They were going to select the boy next, so I had a few seconds left to just be me before I had to become a tribute. This was it. Tears blurred over my eyes, and my hearing seemed to go. I heard the lady say a name, but I didn’t hear what the name was. I found the boy walking towards the stage. His expression looked to be the same as mine. Terrified, but trying to hide it.

He seemed nice. But that wouldn’t matter when I had to kill him. I looked back in the mirror at my eyes. I looked back at my own blue eyes. My blue eyes that weren’t light blue, but they weren’t dark blue either. They were just blue. But my blue eyes didn’t look like the eyes of a killer. But when I entered the Hunger Games, I would become the killer, and my eyes would change to match me