Chapter 22

Fear.

Complete and utter fear possessed me as I bolted out of the kitchen and into the backyard to find all of the guests huddled around a crying, limp form. I almost tripped a few times trying to reach the group but managed it. I vaguely heard Kate’s voice call out my name in worry and panic.

Everyone noticed my haggard frame stumbling towards my poor baby sister and immediately parted a path for me. Matt was already there along with Mr. and Mrs. Dells, who were all crouched over Sarah as she cried. Chris stood a few steps back as she knew this was important that Matt and I were there first and foremost. Even Ian tried to take a step forward to where Sarah and I were, but Kate held him back and quietly told him to give us space.

Matt was almost in tears when I fell to my knees next to Sarah who was still crying, but attempting to hold it in. Matt usually never cried except when it came to his family—there he would let it all out.

Sarah was so strong as she tried to stop shedding tears, and I couldn’t help but let out a small sob seeing her like this. This was worse—way worse—than her getting a little scrape on her knee, and it broke my heart that she was in pain.

“W-what hap-ppened?” I choked out while grabbing a hold of Sarah’s hand.

Matt couldn’t seem to answer so Mr. Dells, Frank, did it for him. “I’m not too sure. Sarah and her friends went over to the swing set over there, and Sarah was the first to sit down and start swinging when the swing broke, and half of the set collapsed. Sarah seems to have twisted her ankle when she fell, and when the whole thing collapsed, a pole fell on her arm,” Frank explained as he rubbed circles on his wife’s back as she too, was in tears.

Another sob fell from my already quivering body after he was done speaking. How could this happen to my baby sister? Especially on her birthday? I couldn’t believe she was hurt, and my heart felt like it was breaking right there.

 “Sarah, baby, it’s okay. Everything is going to be alright,” I assured as I gently moved a piece of hair out of her eyes.

She sniffled. “Emmie, Matty,” Sarah whimpered and blinked through her tears, “It hurts.”

As soon as the last word fell from her mouth, Matt released a soft sob at the sight and words of our sister. “I know, Sar Bear, I know. We’re gonna make you feel better soon, okay?”

Sarah nodded and sniffled again as Matt picked her up and walked towards the driveway. I immediately went after him to get into the car and head to the hospital, but not before noticing Kate’s anxious look and Ian’s worried one. I knew with that look, Ian wanted to come with us, but he couldn’t, and he knew that. To try and ease him, I sent him a small smile, though it was more of a watery grimace. At the sight, Ian’s worry grew deeper to the point of concern and anguish.

It took nearly twenty minutes to get to the hospital, and finally when we did, Matt carried Sarah inside, careful not to jostle her ankle or arm in the wrong way. Matt and I were instructed to stay in the waiting room until the doctor did an x-ray scan on Sarah’s arm and ankle to see any damages.

Minutes later, the Dells came in since they were a few cars back, and Rachel rushed in and immediately asked how Sarah was. Matt and I only gave her a pained look, telling her we didn’t know anything yet. Rachel slumped into the seat next to me, putting her hands to her face and silently crying into them. Her husband kept murmuring soothing words to which she didn’t react to. Rachel only repeated how much it was her fault because she hadn’t been watching Sarah carefully enough.

“Stop it,” I said firmly, “Do not blame yourself for this. I know it’s not your fault—it’s not anyone’s fault actually.”

“Yeah, but-but that swing set collapsed! I should have checked it before to make sure it was suitable for a birthday party!” She cried.