Chapter 14

The whistle sounded, and my teammates and I ran towards the net to clap the other team’s hands and say good luck. Of course we really didn’t mean ‘good luck’―we wanted to win. And that we would, I was sure of it. I loved that rushed feeling at every start of the game; it was especially amplified with our school’s biggest rival, Haywood High.

            JV already played about an hour or so ago, and although they did their best, they had lost. It was a tense and close game just at 25-20, 25-23, and 25-22―you know the hold your breath and curl your toes inside of your shoes in anticipation kind of thing. But now, I was determined to win and not get the title of the sore losers.

            After clapping six other hands, I jogged over to my position and crouched low with my arms stretched before me. The ref blew the whistle again, and one of our best servers, Julia, gave a running start and jumped up to serve. I congratulated her and quickly focused my attention back to the other side of the court. We almost got an ace but their outside hitter immediately dug for it and got it back up for the setter.

            With me being the team’s libero, I instantly got ready for their kill. Of course, I did not let them succeed and dove forward to keep the ball up to pass it to Julia. She set it to Chris, our left hitter, and as soon as she did her approach, she went in for the kill. And let me tell you, Haywood was not ready for it. We got the point, and we all gathered in the middle to slap each other’s butts. It’s kind of our congratulations to each other but also to show good luck.

            About ten more minutes into the game, we were winning. It was 18-13, and it felt good. As we got our nineteenth point, I could feel eyes burning into the side of my face. The stare did not stop as we scored once again, and I couldn’t take it. Looking around, I found the source of the somewhat unwanted stare. The glowing grey eyes bored back into mine as I crouched there frozen. His eyes never strayed from mine, and I heard the sound of the ref’s whistle signaling another point.

            I glanced away while feeling heat creep into my cheeks. My attention was brought back to the game when I noticed my teammates giving me odd looks. I hoped it wasn’t what I suspected, so I peeked at the scoreboard and dread filled my entire being as I looked back down in embarrassment. That point wasn’t for us. It was for the Haywood High Tigers. Shit.

            We were still winning by six points, but that wasn’t enough to satisfy me. I was not going to look towards my left anymore so I could finish this game with us coming out as the winner.

            Soon enough, my team won the first game and we were onto our second. We just needed to win our next two and we’ll be done and winners. In no time, we managed to beat the Tigers and it was our third and last game against them.

            Our third game was a close one at 23-21. We couldn’t afford to lose now at the great work we’ve already done.

            Their left hitter managed to sneak the ball past Julia and they got the point. That drove me more to get the next two points to win. The Tigers gave a jump serve and it sailed right over to me. I got ready to pass it to Julia, but an annoying high-pitched squeal resonated through the gym and it distracted me. It distracted me long enough for the volleyball to miss my outstretched arms by inches.

            Double shit. It was now tied 23-23. I whipped my head around to try and find where the annoying as crap laughter was, and I all too soon found it.

            Kate was the reason I had messed up. And yes, I learned what the new girl’s name was. How could I not? Yesterday, the entire student body was buzzing about the ‘new hot girl, Kate.’ The Bombshell had a name, but that still didn’t lessen my… distaste for her. I hadn’t even officially met her yet, but I know her laughter wasn’t something I particularly liked. And maybe it was the fact that she and Ian were so close.