Chapter 13

“So since I am not pretty good at this stuff, is it alright if we do a cliché date?” Garrett hesitantly asked.

            I smiled, “Of course.”

            “Great. A dinner and a movie then?”

            “Yeah, that’s totally fine,” I said with as much enthusiasm as I could muster.

            Don’t get me wrong, but I was hoping for a tad bit more… exciting date. But oh well, at least he asked me on a date right?

            I sat in the passenger seat of his sleek black Mercedes and watched as the trees flew by the window at surprising speed. I could not get rid of the smile though, I was too happy for my own good. Nothing could ruin tonight.

            I thought back to the house for a moment, slightly worrying if Sarah would be okay. She should be; besides Chris was there. I trusted Chris… well for the most part. I just felt bad that Matt left a little less than a week ago. How was she coping with our brother’s absence? Normally, Sarah would take it pretty hard every time Matt left to go back to college. I could only hope for the best. I would be back in about two or so hours anyways.

            Realizing that I shouldn’t be ignoring my date the way I was, I snapped my mind back into focus and silently watched Garrett as he drove with ease. I noticed his russet brown hair was slightly longer than usual. I couldn’t help but drool―no matter how short or long his hair was, he was still as attractive as ever.

            But not nearly as attractive as Ian, my conscious decided to add.

            Oh shut up, I said back annoyed.

            Hey, you’re the one talking to herself, I am simply your conscious.

            I must be losing it, I swear. I was fighting my own conscious for crying out loud.

            I turned my attention back to Garrett and took in his facial features. He had very few freckles, if any at all. His slender nose was perfectly straight, unlike Ian’s. His eyes were a light crystal blue, which were completely different from Ian’s glowing grey ones. Wait, what the hell? I was on a date and my mind was thinking about a certain infuriating grey eyed boy.

            Okay, I was going to promise myself to steer my thoughts away from anything remotely close to Ian.

            The whole time I was promising myself, I had been staring at Garrett. He probably felt my stares on him, making him smirk my way. My face immediately burned in embarrassment. I was not good at this. I quickly averted my eyes and gazed out the window instead.

            I heard him give a soft chuckle, “Emily, you don’t need to feel embarrassed, I know it’s hard to not drool over this.”

            My eyes snapped to his figure and watched as he gestured down his body. Oh God, please tell me he was not turning into Ian.

            Oh crap, I just thought of Ian. This was going to be a hard night.

            “You are hanging around Ian way too much,” I mumbled. He laughed again. Music to my ears, I tell you.

            “Oh please, you know Ian is a lot cockier than me,” Garrett said in a-matter-fact tone.

            “True,” I giggled making him smile.