Chapter 31: Mary.

The night had been hard. I hadn’t slept at all. I went straight to my old house, or apartment, where I used to live with my father.

I didn’t have the key so I broke the door down with my foot. It wasn’t too hard; the door was old and weak. I couldn’t bring myself to sleep in my old bed and the floor was more comfortable then the coach so that’s where I slept. When I woke this morning I went straight to the safe, put tin the code and opened it up. I took the money and the gun. I left my mothers wedding ring behind. It would be of no good to me now. Now that I was leaving this world.

I wanted to leave the money for Bryan. She needed it more than anyone else I knew.

I snuck behind her house and then a cold voice called my name “Mary?”

I looked up o see the man from that night Branson saved me. The man who had entered my nightmares more than a few times. Bryans husband, Simon, she says his name is. He tried to reap me, has reaped other women, including Bryan, and looking the way he does now, he’s drunk.

“That’s your name, right?” He asked.

“Yeah, that’s my name.” I mumbled looking down “Your names Simon right?” I asked.

He nodded his head “How do you know that.”

“Bryan told me.”

He frowned “Oh, so you know the wife?”

Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything about Bryan. What if he was mad at her for speaking about him?

“Oh, umm, you know barley. We talked like once and she said your name. I just figured you were Simon.” I said shrugging.

“Uh-huh. So where’s your prince?” He asked.

“Who?”

“That guy the showed up in his shiny car to save you. Where is he?”

“With his girlfriend.” I mumbled looking at the ground; I didn’t want to think about Branson. Not now.

“Oh, well, Bryans gone.” He said taking a dangerous number of steps towards me “You want to come inside.”

“No, actually. I have to get going. Someone expecting me…soon.” I lied.

He laughed out loud, stepping even closer. “No one’s expecting you. You’re such a liar.”

I let my hand slip to my side to feel the gun nudged in my pajama pants pocket, to reassure myself. “Even if I am a liar, it doesn’t matter. I’m still not going inside with you, you pervert.” I spat.

His face turned from amused to hard “I don’t think I’m giving you a choice.” His eyes flickered to his already opened back door and then to me.

I turned and ran but he was quicker, grabbing me around the waist and forcing me inside his back door. He threw me down on the floor and locked the door behind him. I got to my feet and ran for the front door, but he pushed my back and I crashed into a coffee table while he closed and locked the front door too. He turned around but I was already on my way down his front hall. Trying all the windows, but they were all old and stuck. He was close behind me, when I realized none would open I started pounding on each one, screaming for help.

“Help me! Someone! Anyone! Help!” I screamed.

But then I was being knocked to the ground. I landed on my stomach and he was on my back, a hand over my mouth to keep me from screaming.

“Just keep quiet and it’ll all be over soon.” He said moving my hair out of the way and kissing my neck.

A mixture of fear and hatred for this man ran through me.

“No.” I said trying to force him off.

But I just ended up on my back as he began to take my tank top off.

“NO!” I screamed, and from somewhere I got strength and pushed him off me, despite the fact that he was twice my size.

He flew backwards and stumbled into the coach.

“You little bitch. How’d you do that?” He spat.

I scrambled from my spot on the ground, fixing my shirt and whishing more than ever that Branson was there to save me. But he’s not, I reminded myself. You have to save yourself now, then you can end it clean, untouched by anyone but Branson.

“I’m just done.” I said “I’m done being forced to do things! Never again!”

He flung himself at me and I’m not sure what made me do it, probably the crazy. I pulled out my gun, aimed, and shot.

He fell to the ground at my feet, his white t-shirt stained with blood. His eyes opened for a moment to meet mine and then they closed.

He was dead. Relief went through me, he wasn’t going to touch me, Bryan would be rid of him, and he couldn’t take advantage of any more girls. His days were over. I ran into Bryan room and put the bag full of money into her pillow case, inside I left a note.

Don’t be stupid, except the gift. P.s. Sorry about Simon.

Was all I wrote. I left the gun next to him and ran out the back door. I, Mary Stone, the crazy girl, just shot a man, and now he was dead. The thought did not surprise me even though I had always convinced myself not to shot my father by repeating quietly “I am many things—crazy being one of them—but I am not a murderer.” I would repeat this again and again. I was apparently wrong.

I felt a light drizzle on my head as I looked up to see dark clouds filling the sky. I would have to start walking now if I wanted to make it to the bridge by night, and I would have to avoid all of my regular places, the school, the trains, the busses, and my house. I’d have to be sneaky.