Chapter 28: Branson.

Yesterday was the worst day of my life. It had started out the best, but now it was the worst. They took my Mary away and then in the parking lot with Layla…and Mary saw. I know what she must think but that wasn’t it. That’s not what happened at all.

What really happened:

I got out of my car and it didn’t take Layla but two seconds to be at my side.

“You disgusting bitch, what are doing here?” I said, trying to walk past her.

“Wait, please.” She said “I’m sorry. I went to go see Mary and-”

“You went to go see Mary?! How could you do that?!?! And you’re sorry too. Well that just makes it all better!  Now I can’t see her today because she’s already had one person visit, but you probably knew that! Didn’t you!?! You’re a filthy bitch and I don’t know why on earth Charlie loves you! He shouldn’t! He’s too good for you!”

She looked at the ground “You used to love me.”

I laughed “I didn’t love you. You tricked me into thinking I did and what a joke that was! That’s the right word! You’re a joke, Layla! And now, everyone knows it!”

She hung her head into her hands and began crying.

“Oh just shut up!” I screamed at her “I’m so sick of you.”

“Branson listen to me.” She said putting he hands on my face, I recoiled from her touch and lightly pushed her back.

“I fixed it, I swear, I did.”

I froze “What?”

“Well, I’m going to fix it. I’m going to tell the police I was drunk that night they asked for me to talk and that they should let Mary go. I’m going to fix it all. On one condition.”

“What?” I asked raising and eye brow.

“You kiss me goodbye.”

“That’s all?” I laughed and threw myself at her. One pointless, meaningless, kiss. I could do that, I could easily do that for my Mary. I kissed her and it seemed lacking now that I had had Mary. It seemed out of practice, and it just seemed not as good, not nearly as good.

I let her go and she said “Guess what else?”

“What?”

“I lied. Oh and Mary’s watching.” She smiled and watched as my eyes searched the windows until I saw Mary’s face. Broken and scared.

“I hate you, Layla.” I murmured before running straight to the door.

I ran past the reception desk and down the hall “Excuse me sir. You can’t go down there. Sir!” The lady called after me “Security!”

There was no time to wait for an elevator. She had been on the seventh floor. I ran up the steps and eventually reached the door with a number seven on it. I pushed through the door and looked through each small window until I saw Mary. “Mary!” I screamed, pounding on her door.

I tried the handle but it was locked, you needed a key. They had locker her away; they had locked my Mary away.

She was lying in a broken heap of herself on the floor, tears running down her face “Mary!” I yelled again. She looked up and seeing her face, her eyes, seeing her like this just about tore me in half.  Her eyes meet mine and that didn’t help the feeling I had. Just then two guards had knocked me to the floor and were taking me down the steps and out the front door. They pushed me out and stood there until I had gotten in my car and driven away.

So as you can see this was not one of my finest moments.