Chapter 27: Mary.

You know the movie ‘The Blindside’? When the teachers find something the kid wrote and it was titled ‘White Walls’ and he talked about how everything was white? White people, white floors, white ceiling, white walls. That’s the first thing that came to my mind when I opened my eyes in my new room. It looked like a mix between a hospital room and a play school for toddlers. The bed was like a hospital bed but the floor was soft and squishy like mates when you stepped on it. I walked to the window and looked at a small bug on the other side of the glass. It wasn’t until I tried to open the window that I realized it was two inches thick and didn’t open.

I walked to the open bathroom; it had no door, and saw that the toilet seat didn’t lift up. There were no shower curtains, and the shower head was unbelievably tall. The sink didn’t have a faucet, it was like a big bowl sticking out of the wall with a whole on the inside of it that when you turned a nob water came out. There was no possible way that I could hurt myself in here. That was their goal, it all looked pretty normal until you looked at it up close. I walked to the door where there was no handle. It was just big and white, and had a small window much too high for me to look out of.

I was wearing my same close from yesterday, my phone and Branson’s sweatshirt sat on the ground next to my bed. I picked them both up and saw that there had been thirty missed calls. Some from Bryan some form Sam, Aaron, and Charlie too. But most from Branson.

I selected his contact and called him back.

The phone only rang twice before his voice filled my ears.

“Mary?” He asked

“Branson,” I sighed “You don’t know how happy I am to hear your voice.”

“Are you okay?” He demanded “What have they done to you?”

“Nothing, I’m fine.” I assured him “They haven’t done anything. They’re only trying to help. I just woke up and this place is really weird but who cares? All I have to do is prove to them that I’m not crazy and that Layla was wrong and then they’ll let me out.” I said cheerily.

“And how long will that take?” He asked.

I was quiet.

“Mary?” He asked again “How long will that take?”

“About…a year.” I mumbled.

“Dammit.” He sighed “Well can you have visitors?”

I had done all sorts of research on this place years ago, always knowing that if I wasn’t careful this is where I’d end up.

“I can have as many family visitors as I want but I can only have one friend visit each day.” I said.

“Well, I’m still trying to get everyone released.” He said “I might not be able to make it today but I swear I’ll be there first thing tomorrow. Okay, love?”

I smiled “Okay.”

“You trust me to come for you, right? You trust I’ll fix it all?”

He barley understood what was going on! How could he possibly fix it?

“I trust you.” I said “You all didn’t get in too much trouble, did you?” I asked.

“No, just Bryan really. She’s the one who pulled a gun. She shot at one guy.”

“Really? Why?”

“Don’t you remember? He grabbed you and you screamed out in pain. She thought he was hurting you so she shot, luckily she missed.”

“When you see her tell her I said I love her, yeah?”

“Yeah, I will. Listen I got to go. I love you.”