Chapter 26: Branson.

An asylum? Like for crazy people? They were trying to take her away. They were trying to take my Mary.

“I’m not letting you take her.” I said.

“Sir, if you get in the way we have a full police force standing by. I know how hard the news can be. Some people want to fight it but I promise you that’s not the right choice.” The tallest man said “Now if you’ll please move.”

I looked around him to see the police; the ambulance, the fire truck and the big white van that they were going to take her away in. I also saw a car that I knew too well. It was small and pink and in the driver’s seat sat Layla, smiling and doing her nails.

“What’s she doing here?” I asked and everyone looked around me to see Layla.

“That bitch.” Bryan murmured

“Oh god.” Sam moaned.

“I’m so sorry, Mary.” Charlie said. “I had no idea she would…”

“Crap.” Sophia ducked behind Aaron.

“She’s the one that gave the police the report that led them to believe you need to come stay with us for a while.” The shortest said “She’s also the one who told us where you were when we couldn’t find you at your house. She’s been a great help.”

Layla appeared next to them “I’m only doing what’s best for you.” Then she saw Charlie “Hey, baby.”

“Shut up, Layla.” He groaned.

Her smiled twitched into a frown but only for a second before she smiled at Mary again.

Mary stepped out from behind me, where I had been concealing her.

I watched as Mary stared Layla down. She just stood there, looking at her. And then with one swift movement Layla was on the ground, Mary was rubbing her knuckles and one of the men was grabbing for her. Of course I took a swing at the one holding her, and one of the others grabbed me. Then it turned into a full out fight. It was three against five, considering that Charlie had rushed to Layla and they were staying out of the fight. I should be mad at him but I couldn’t be, it wasn’t his fault he loved her.

I felt a large hand collide with my face, and then I saw some police men coming to help restrain us. I heard gunshots and then saw a police officer force Bryan to the ground, taking her gun, and hand cuffing her. He passed her off to another police officer that led her to a police car and pushed her inside.

Next the police got Sam. Then Aaron, next Sophia. I was pushed to the ground last, my hands behind my back and I looked up just in time to see two large men strapping Mary to a gurney and wheeling her up and into the big white van.

She was screaming and thrashing.

“Branson!” She yelled “Branson! Don’t let them take me away!” Tears streamed down her face as she reached out a hand to me.

“Stop!” I screamed “You have to let me go. You don’t understand! She needs me!” But it was too late, they were already driving away with my Mary and I was being put into the police car with the rest of them.

I had failed her. I had failed her again.