Chapter 29: Mary.

My second day. It wasn’t so bad. I didn’t have to see people I didn’t want to see. I could go for a walk around the grounds if I had someone with me. There was always enough food. And I could sing for the small children for an hour each day. It wasn’t the worst place in the world but it was certainly close. I suppose any place seems terrible now. Because they’re all places in this world where Branson kissed Layla. There was no escaping that terrible truth. There was no way around it.

It was late and the almost dark out when a nurse entered my room “You have a visitor.”

“Who?” I asked.

“A nice young lady named Bryan.”

“O, let her in please.”

She nodded and soon after she left Bryan walked in.

“Wow,” She said looking around my room “this place is like baby proof.” She fell to the ground and pocked it with her finger. She stood when she saw my sad face.

“What is it?”

“Branson kissed Layla.” I said.

“Well that was before, you have him now.”

“No, I mean he kissed her yesterday. I saw him.”

“I’ll kill them both. I have my…well, I don’t have my gun anymore but I’ve got my knife.”

“No,” I said “leave them alone.” I already had a plan. I was escaping tonight and I didn’t want them to suspect Bryan had helped “You need to go now.” I said.

“What? But I just got here.”

“Bryan. You need to go before it gets too late.” I said not looking at her.

“Okay,” She said and then she turned and knocked on the door, someone from the other side opened it and before she walked out I had to say goodbye. This was going to be the last time I would ever see her.

“Goodbye, Bryan. I love you.”

She smiled “I love you, too. See you, later?”

I just stared at the ground “Sure,” I said even though I knew she wouldn’t. Not living at least. The next time she saw me I’d be dead.

After I watched her old car drive away I pressed the button on the side of my bed. Tammy was there in a flash. She didn’t leave until twelve so I still had her at my disposal.

“Yes, Mary?” She asked smiling.

“I wanted to go for a walk if that was okay?”

“Well it’s too dark for a walk around the grounds but we can take a walk inside.”

“Sound great.” I lied, I’d have to work with what I had “I’m feeling a little chilly, let me grab my sweatshirt. Actually, I wanted to change into some PJs. Could you wait outside the door for me?” I asked.

She nodded and left me alone. I took my extra pillows I had asked for this morning and stuffed them in my sheets; I put a white hoodie on one of them and pulled the covers all the way up. I grabbed Branson’s sweatshirt but left my phone. I quickly out in some grey pajama pants a black tank top. I turned the lights off on my way out. Being careful not to let Tammy see what I had done. We walked and walked. I was waiting for the right opportunity. I was waiting for someone in the hallway to freak out. For them to need every set of hands they had. It took thirty minutes by eventually a large man freaked out over someone humming. All the doctors and nurses did their best to restrain him.

“Oh, tammy, they need your help. I’ll go straight back to my room.”  I said.

“I don’t know, Mary.” She said unsure. But then she looked at the man again “Well okay. But you go straight to your room.”

“Okay. Don’t disturb me though, please, I’m going right to bed.”

She nodded and headed in the opposite direction, straight to the man.

I made my run for it. After watching these people for only two days I knew how to get. I slipped into the main laundry room and slid down the shoot. I landed in a large pile of clothes. I was in the basement of the place. I was running, looking for an exit door when I heard footsteps coming. I looked around franticly until I saw the perfect hiding spot. There was an old desk that I slipped under, pulling my legs in close.

The footsteps got closer and into my range of vision came a tall security guard. As long as he didn’t go left and turn I would be fine, but just then a large rat touched my arm and I jerked away. My hand hit the inside of the desk with a crack that echoed.

“Who’s there?” He asked turning around.

Don’t get any closer. I begged in my thoughts.

But he took another step closer to my hiding spot.

“I heard you. Just come out now and I won’t have to hurt you.” He pulled his gun.

Layla’s laugh filled my head so loudly I was afraid he would hear it too.

He was only a step away when I grudgingly pushed the rat out into his view. He sighed “Stupid rats always knocking shit over.” He turned on the spot and walked off. I stayed where I was for about two minutes before deciding it was safe and getting up.

I ran down through the basement before coming to a door that said exit on it. I pushed it open and found myself behind the building. I took off Branson’s sweat shirt, I hated leaving it behind, but the blue would stand out in the dark.

I left it by the door and inched along the wall. The entire place was gated in. Lights stretched across from watch towers. It was starting to seem more and more like a prison every second. I could see the exit to the gate. Where cars came in and out. If I could just get through there then I would just be another kid roaming the streets at night. I came around the corner and saw a security guard. The second he turned his back I dashed past him and hid behind a car. I stayed concealed behind the line of cars half way through the parking lot but then it ended. I sat and watched the lights and the men. There was some sort of system to the way they moved, a rhythm, and I discovered that when the third light hit the buildings side there were ten seconds where none of the lights would be pointed right at my path and none of the guards eyes would be directed towards me. When the third light hit the building I ran for the exit. I wasn’t totally convinced I could make it in ten second but when I reached the grass I flattened myself against it.

I inched on my elbows until I was at the gate. I slipped through and I was out.