Chapter 15: Branson.

I parked my car in the hospital parking lot and walked to the main door. The lady at the front desk eyed me curiously as I passed back and forth in the door way.

“Can I help you with something sir?” She finally ask with a  great sigh.

“Yes. No. Wait. What was the question?”

“Are you here to see someone?”

“Oh, um, yeah. Mary Stone, please.”

She nodded once and typed her name into the computer. “Are you family or a friend?”

“Neither.”

She raised one eyebrow at me.

“Excuse me?”

“What?”

“You’re neither family nor a friend and you want to go see her?” She asked.

“That’s right.”

“Okay well let’s try this again. Which are you closer too? Family or a friend?”

I thought for a long time “I don’t know. I’m so confused. Firs she was my best friend then she likes me but I’m with Layla and I’m not just going leave her. Layla’s good to me. You know for the most part. But whenever I’m with Mary I’m so happy and whenever I’m not I fell like shit and ugh, I don’t know. I want to have some sort of claim on her but I can’t be her boyfriend but I feel too much for her to just be her best friend. But family? That seems like it’s enough but in the wrong way. I don’t know. What do you think?” I rambled this all out so quickly I wasn’t even sure what I had said exactly.

“Dang, boy. I just need to know so I can tell you about her visiting hours. I didn’t ask for your whole life story.” She looked at me with a bazar kind of stare.

“Oh, umm, sorry. Friend I guess.” I shrugged.

“Okay. She has two visiting hours left. You can go now. She’s in room C12 on the second floor.”

“Thanks.” I said.

I began to walk away when she called back to me “Wait, boy.” I turned “If I were you I’d pick Mary. I don’t know who this Layla girl is but just the way you talk about Mary makes me think you want to pick her.”

I smiled, nodding “Thanks.”

I pressed the number two on the elevator and tried to calm myself down as it raised me one floor closer to Mary. I stepped out and walked down the hall until I came to her door. I knocked on the door once and bit my lip hard when I heard her voice call “Come in.” I opened the door to find her sitting crisscross on her bead, fully dressed, with a guitar in her hands.