Part eight

"Coming!" Pia yelled and slide off her chair and wandered down the stairs. The aroma of her mom's delicious cooking danced on her senses and made her crack a smile. Her mom made the best stuff!

Of course almost every child probably says that about their mothers but Pia's mom really did make the best food in the whole wide world and Pia was a hundred percent ready to fight anyone who said otherwise. She wasn't the only person to think like that. Her father was also more then willing to defend his wife's cooking with his life.

"Hey you." Speaking of the devil, her father was taking off his jacket and shoes. "How was school, pal?"

"What's up!" Pia gave her father their traditional fist-bump. "School was school, how was work?"

"Work was work, we worked through work and then we worked away." Pia rolled her eyes but ended up smiling.

"Food's done." She said putting her hands in her pockets and wandering to the bathroom to wash her hands. "MOM! Dad's home!"

"I know!!" Her mom yelled back. "I'm not deaf yet but if you keep screaming I might be soon."

"Well then I better scream... REALLY LOUD!!" Pia's mom made her serious face.

"Pia..." Her mom's "angry" voice cause her father to break out in fake panic. "You're both being ridiculous. No supper for either of you."

"Awww." Pia sat down at the table. "Tears... rolling down my cheek."

"My stomach is beginning to eat itself up..." Pia's dad dramatically held his chest. "Death is cruel, yet so sweet."

"Alright." Her mom served three plates. "Enough you too."

"They call me... I'm going into the light." Her father lay on the ground while Pia started to do a prayer. "It was an good life... especially that one time, when I met the love of my life. I always knew she would be the death of me..."

"Ok, that's enough being dramatic for now." Her mom gently placed the precious food on the wooden table. "Bon appetite, you crazy kids."

Even though both her mom and her dad worked long and hard, Pia knew they weren't the richest. The kitchen was simple, with an old stove and a scratched up counter but it was home. The smell of wood and the slight stench of rotting tomatoes was always a welcoming one.

"So how was your day?" Her dad interrupted his meal to sternly look at his one and only kid. Mom also looked up expecting details.

"Why are you both looking at me like I've set a cat on fire?"

"Well did you set a cat on fire?" Pia waved her hands.

"Why the hell would I do that, the poor cat!!"

"Not to mention the smell." Her father frowned at his food.

"No no no, we are not thinking about burning a cat." Her mom poked at her food. "So this cheerleader... do you know if she's cute?"

"MOM!" Pia protested and slammed her fist on the table.

"Sweetheart..."

"What?? I want my gorgeous daughter to date an equally gorgeous girl."

"Sweetheart..." Her father's tone was impatient.

"What?????! I'm just saying our girl deserves the very best."

"Sweetheart... you know she can't date a girl more good-looking then herself because she comes after you and you are the most beautiful woman in the world." Her mom did a childish giggle and pushed her husband away.

Married almost 20 years and they still acted like they were just married. I wonder if Kate and me will act like that one day...

"Dad, you know I've got your nose and your cheekbones. I don't come completely after mom."

"That's why you're only the second most beautiful woman in the world, darling." Her dad said with a sarcastic loving tone while Pia clenched her chest.

"Man down, man down!" She yelled in mock terror.

"Well sorry sports, you only come in second."

"Silver is a nice colour anyway. It's better then gold."

Pia burned to tell her parents about Kate, about the unreal day she had just had but she had promised her to keep quiet about it and she wasn't going to break that. Even if it meant lying to her parents.

A white lie never hurt anyone.

Or did it?