Chapter 8: Married

The wedding!! I know you've been waiting for it!! I haven't had time to do much editing, so I apologize for any errors. Leave me a comment if you see one. And please vote! :D:D:D

*************************************************************************************************************

They stood before the priest hand in hand, the light of the hearth fire casting a warm, golden glow upon them. “This is a solemn covenant before God, one that will last until death parts you. Do you both swear to be faithful to each other?” They smiled at each other. “Yes,” they murmured at the same time, William clasping Anna's hand to his heart. The priest rolled his eyes. “I'm going to lose my breakfast at this rate,” he muttered. “Which is why I'm declaring you husband and wife so you can take your foolishness out of my sight.” Before he could say anything else, William pulled Anna close for a kiss. Throwing his hands up in the air, the priest muttered low under his breath about the impatience of young people.

Giggling, Anna broke the kiss and ran to give the ornery priest a hug. “Thank you, father,” she said softly. His face softened. “My child, I am happy for you.” He pulled back, looking embarrassed. “Now since you came to see me in the middle of the night, and given the fact that your parents would never approve of you marrying a scotsman, I'm assuming you mean to run away.” The young couple nodded. He motioned over his shoulder. “If you need to change into a disguise, you might as well do it there.” William shook his hand. “Thank you, father!”

Anna looked at her new husband slyly. “It's time for your disguise, my love. I know how much you have been looking forward to it,” Anna chuckled as she handed him his disguise. Rolling his eyes, he laughed.

Afew moments later a very strange looking woman stepped out from the small room. “Lord amighty!” The priest bellowed. Anna burst out laughing, much to William's annoyance. “Aye, so ye think I look strange, do ye lass?” He said in the highest voice he could manage, which was no easy feat given that his voice was naturally so low. Grinning from ear to ear, Anna starting adjusting his garments. “Here, let me fix this. We must pull this like so, and we'll need to cushion your bosom with these rags so you look more womanly.” “Ye want to do WHAT?” William bellowed. “I'll not have a bosom!” The shocked look on the priest's face was worth a fortune.

Anna looked at him with mock sternness. “But you will look awfully silly without it! How else shall we convince then men that you are truly a woman, especially given your manly build?” William muttered something under his breath, much to Anna's amusement. She hadn't quite caught all of it, but she was pretty sure he was cursing. The priest's eyes were scrunched up in mirth, although he still kept a stern expression on his face. “Young man, we must be grateful for all our blessings, even the- ahem- strange ones.”

Laughing at William's wounded expression, Anna continued adjusting the dress, which unfortunately was not quite long enough to cover his boots. It would have to do. She placed a woman's circular fillet and veil on his head, pinning the veil in the front as some older women did. This would hide the fact that his hair only came down to his shoulders, and would further mask his masculine features.

“I'll just add a bit of rouge here, and a touch of color to your lips- there! Now you're ready!” Standing back to view her handiwork with arms akimbo, she could barely keep in her mirth. “Well that's got to be the ugliest woman I've ever seen,” The priest remarked dryly, crossing himself after for his un-spiritual comment. William looked offended. “I'll have ye know that where I hail from, this look is very much in style!” He retorted in his high woman's voice. Anna could no longer hold it in and laughed long and hard. William pretended to look offended, then sheepishly joined her. “Well, if it will get us away in safety, then it's worth it,” he said, smiling. “Now go get in your costume.”

When Anna came out dressed as a lad, the priest remarked dryly, “Well at least you're even, now.” He stood and faced them. “My children, I know not where you're headed, but I'll send a blessing of protection along with you.” Bowing their heads, they accepted.

They left the priest's home soon after, heading for the docks. The priest had kindly given them 2 loaves of bread to add to their supplies. The odd-looking couple walked down the dark streets towards the docks. Upon reaching the ship, Anna took the bags that William had insisted on carrying. “If you carry them it'll cause suspicion, since I'm supposed to be the lad,” Anna whispered. William grumbled, but allowed her to take them. They walked towards the plank where the seaman on watch was sitting. “Who goes there?” William answered in as feminine a voice as he could muster. “We are looking for passage to Ireland. May we board?” The seaman looked at the odd couple in amusement; they were surely the strangest looking pair he'd ever seen! “Is this yer son, m'lady?” William nodded. “Why travelling so late?” Anna piped up. “We were delayed in our journey, we intended to be here before sundown.” Finally the seaman nodded. “Ye can come on board, we'll settle payment then.”

Safe in their small but private cabin, then relaxed at last. William groaned. “Ach, how long must I wear this ridiculous guise?” Anna smiled. “There's a lock on our door, so we can undress tonight.” “Mmm, I like the sound of that!” William murmured, nibbling her earlobe. Anna couldn't help but laugh; William trying to be romantic while dressed in his woman's garb was too much. His expression became serious. “We must make sure to keep quiet though, my love. They mustn’t hear any sounds coming from our cabin that a lady and her son wouldn't make.” Anna blushed furiously. “And what sort of sounds do you think we'll be making, my love?” His gaze lingered on her lips. “The sounds of me loving every inch of you,” he whispered. “Let me take off these foolish clothes and I'll show you what I mean.”

************************************************************************************************************

 Who's ready for their first love scene? Or should I be mean and have them interuppted? :) Vote vote vote please! :)