Chapter 1: William

Chapter 1

“It's mine, give it now!”

“Nay ye wee blubber, that tasty morsel is most certainly MINE.”

“I'll not let ye have it! Ye think just because yer older that you're entitled to the best of everything?”

“If ye'll not give it to me then I'll have to take it, my precious little brother!”

William and Alec McGregor stared at each other across the wooden table, each one willing the other to yield ownership of the last sweet bun.

“Do ye yield, William? Or must we fight for it?”

William laughed, his deep voice contrasting with his younger brother's higher pitched voice. “Aye Alec, we can fight for it, but I don't know that fighting a bairn (child) would be honorable!”

Alec jumped up. “A bairn, you say? I'll show ye how much of a bairn-” He was cut off by a roar from uncle Robert. “Sit down, the both of ye! What fine specimens of men we have here at our table, eh Katrina? Two brothers ready to fight over a morsel of pastry!” His wife simply rolled her eyes at the menfolk's foolishness; it was not the first time the boys had challenged each other over her delicious sweet buns.

“I say that neither of ye gets the last sweet bun since ye can't come to a sensible agreement.” Taking a deep breath, he said, “So I'll be takin' it for me-self, thank ye very much!” He swiped the bun amidst their protests. Mouth full of sticky sweetness, he jumped as Katrina banged her hand against the table. She was a round, slightly chubby woman with brown curly hair and green eyes. Normally she had soft features, but at the moment her expression was very stern as she hid a smile. “I've told ye before, there will be no fightin' at the table! Ye take it outside! And while you're at it, bring in the evening firewood so we don't freeze our toes off!”

Ducking their heads and trying to look contrite, Alec and William managed to get to the door before bursting out into laughter. Still laughing, Alec and William jostled outside the castle to gather firewood for the night. William stopped to catch his breath from their merriment. He looked up at the castle walls, rising into the drooping evening sun. It wasn't a huge castle, but with three main towers and many large rooms, it was large enough for a big family with many grandchildren. And the lands were extensive, with many cotters (peasants) living on the land and paying rent. Fortunately it was also small enough and remote enough that the English didn't see much point in taking control of it, although that threat loomed over their heads every day.

But they were far safer than they had been six moons ago...

********************************************************************************

(Six months ago)

William McGregor stood at the graveside, his normally bright blue eyes darkened with grief. His younger brother Alec stood beside him, stone-faced as they stared at the grave. Under the layers of freshly turned earth lay Eileen and Roy McGregor, their parents. They had been caught in an English raid while the boys were out in the fields trying to harvest what was left of their crops after the English had taken what they wanted. Their home had been burned to the ground, with Eileen inside of it. Even now William could hear her screams as they raced to the house, trying frantically to get her out. It was no use; rafters had fallen, blocking the door. By the time they got to her, she was gone; her once lovely face charred by the flames that licked her fallen body. His father had been stabbed while trying to fend off the men trapping his wife inside the cottage; they found his body after retrieving their ma's body.

Now they were both gone, and their home was destroyed. They had nothing more than the clothes on their backs and the horses that had been with them in the now destroyed fields.