Chapter 5: The Ruins

Chapter 5

William stared at the scene before him. The wooded path they had been walking along, barely discernible among the greenery, suddenly opened into a clearing. In the center of the clearing was the remains of an ancient stone fortress, mostly fallen to pieces with age; but one small room stood intact, with even most of the roof still in place. He stepped into the clearing to look at it more closely, walking towards the ancient doorway. The wooden door had long since rotted away, leaving the inside room open to the elements. As he entered, he could see that someone had been there before; the rampant vines and brush had been cleared away, leaving the room looking much less wild than he had expected. There was a large log in the corner next to an ancient hearth which held the ashes of a previous fire.

But what really caught his attention was the carvings on the walls. The stretched in all directions; pictures depicting past battles and ancient kings, long turned to dust in their graves. Scenes were carved of mystical beings and powerful gods, beings of legends long since forgotten.

He started as she moved to stand next to him. “What is this place?” He whispered. He had never seen anything like it. “I know not; I found it one day while I was wandering in the woods. It was covered by vines and brush; it took a long time to clear them. I wouldn't have even known it was there hiding under all the underbrush if I hadn't lost one of my arrows trying to shoot a tree branch.”

Despite his awe over the hidden building, he couldn't help but smile. He may have only know this lass for a short time, but he liked her spunkiness already already. “Och, ye must have been a handful when ye were a bairn, if travelling alone in the woods and shootin' arrows is how ye like to pass the time,” he said to her, smiling.

Blushing, Anna changed the subject. “I don't think anyone else knows about this place. It's well hidden, and few people venture this part of the woods.” She looked at his face, firm with her resolve. “You can hide here while I seek out a way to get you on board a ship bound for Ireland. Although I should warn you, it may be a while before the next ship comes through.” William nodded. “And what shall I do to pass the time and feed myself, lass? I donnae want to cause you trouble.”

Hesitating, she looked down at her bow, then handed it to him along with the arrows. “You may use these to hunt whatever game you can find, but be sure to stay out of site and keep close to the ruins in case you need to hide.” Looking down, she added, “And I'll come visit when I can and bring what food I can get for you.” William smiled tenderly. “Lass, ye've been more kind to me than I could have imagined. I'll be lookin' forward to your visits.”

He reached inside his belt and took out a small dirk. “But if ye're to be givin' me yer weapon, you'll need something to protect you. Consider this a trade; we'll swap back before I leave.” Allowing herself a smile, she nodded and took the dirk. Her hand brushed his, and she quickly pulled it back, shocked at the fire she felt at the simple touch. “I must go, my parents will be looking for me. Till tomorrow, then.” William smiled. “Till tomorrow, lass.”

Anna breathed hard as she raced back through the woods. But her speed was not the only reason for her shortnesss of breath.

“What are you doing! He's a criminal! He's likely to rape you or kill you!” She furiously chided herself as she rushed through the undergrowth, carefully trying to avoid a tumble. And yet despite her inward protests, something else lingered too- an insatiable curiosity that simply would not be satisfied. What was he like? She had not talked much with the Scots in the village; most avoided contact with their English oppressors whenever they could.

And then there was the matter of how a simple touch could send torrents of fire through her body.

Anna sighed; she knew she was in for trouble, but she still wanted to proceed.