Chapter 7: Preparations

Here's the next chapter! I can't believe I'm having so much fun writing this story! :) Thanks for all your kind words. Please remmber to vote, vote vote! And comment if you can :)

************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 7

William stopped short at her words. “Aye? Truly, the ship is here?” Anna nodded. “We must leave tonight and portray ourselves as passengers. We'll have to disguise ourselves, of course, else they'll recognize us.” William crossed arms and looked at her in amusement. “Aye, ye seem to have it all planned out then. Tell me lass, what sort of disguises are ye thinking of makin' me wear?” Anna grinned. “It's very simple. We both need to look as different from our normal selves as possible to evade suspicion. So-” She took a deep breath, “I shall dress as a lad, and you shall dress as my mother,” she hurriedly finished. “Me, dress like a lady?” William roared. “Whatever makes you think ye can get me to dress in such a ridiculous manner?”

Anna stood on her tiptoes and whispered in his ear. “Because you love me, and it's the best way to avoid suspicion.” She settled back on her feet and grinned up at him. “For who would guess that my burly scotsman would hide himself under a woman's skirts? 'Tis not the first place they would look for you, surely!” Growling, William grabbed her in a bear hug and tickled her ribs, making her squeal with laughter. Then his expression turned serious, and he pulled her close to his chest. “Your burly scotsman, Anna? Does that mean ye still want me, then?” He tipped up her chin and slowly brushed a kiss across her cheek, then slowly down to her lips. “We've forgotten something very important, love.” Entranced by his touch, Anna closed her eyes. “And what might that be?”

William whispered close to her ear. “Will ye marry me, Anna? Marry me, then come across the sea with me?” Her eyes opened wide, and a soft smile played upon her lips. This was the moment she had dreamed of all her life; the moment when the man she loved would ask her to be his bride. She had hardly dared hope that it would ever happen; arranged marriages were a part of life for the more well to do English people. She knew it would be dangerous, and that she would be giving up all she knew, but she couldn't bear to think of her life without him. She wanted freedom- and she wanted him.

“Yes. Oh, yes William I will marry you!” She threw her arms around his neck and they embraced each other. Then his mouth claimed hers with a passion that sent thrills down her spine. He pulled her tightly against him, wanting to feel every inch of her pressed against him. Groaning, he lifted one hand to rest behind her head and ran his fingers through her hair, enthralled by its softness.

Slowly, regretfully, he pulled back. “We must get ready, Anna. We should marry this eve,” He looked at her tenderly as he said this, “...and then go get aboard the ship. We donnae know what time it will leave tomorrow eve, and we can't risk going earlier in the day, lest we be seen.” Anna nodded. “I'll go pack some things and get our disguises. I have some money we can use for passage.” “Aye, I have some coin as well. Between the two of us, should be enough to get us on the ship and buy us both passage. Now go; ye must act as though ye are still sick so ye willnae be disturbed tonight or tomorrow.” He gave her one more long kiss, then broke away. “Go my love,” he whispered. “I'll be waiting for you.”

It was late afternoon by the time Anna was climbing the tree to her room. Her stomach was gurgling from missing breakfast and lunch, but she was too excited to care. Slipping out of her manly disguise and back into her night shift, she prepared herself to look feverish, then called for her mother. “Are you feeling better, my sweet?” Her mother asked worriedly. “You don't seem any better than last night. Perhaps I should send for the doctor.” Anna shook her head, trying to look as sick as possible. “No, mother, I shall be fine,” she croaked, adding some coughs for good measure. “I just need more undisturbed rest. Perhaps the maid could bring up enough food for several meals so I can nibble whenever I feel able? Calling out for aid is so exhausting.” She coughed again, hoping her mother would take the bait.