Chapter 4: Explaination

Chapter 4

William froze when he saw the crossbow aimed at his face, not three steps away from him. “Dear God, I've been caught!” He thought. But then his eyes noticed the delicate hands holding the weapon; the long brown hair, the red cloak. He realized it was no soldier standing before him, but a young woman. He started to step forward but she tensed. “Don't come any closer or I'll shoot you!”

William was surprised; she spoke with such confidence! He slowly raised his hands, “Please lass, I'm not here to hurt ye; I just need a place to hide for a while.” Suddenly hearing soldier's voices in the distance, his expression started to panic. “Please lass, I've not done anything wrong; all I did was defend a woman against from men that would have raped her, and now they want to kill me for it!”

Anna's finger was poised on the trigger, ready to shoot. She had been terrified when the man ran out of the woods; she felt like her nightmares were coming true. But unlike her nightmares, this Scottish man did not look threatening. In fact, he looked about as scared as a 6 foot tall, well-built man could get. She lowered the crossbow slightly. “Did you really stop someone from being raped?” His expression was serious as he replied quietly. “No woman deserves to be raped, lass; I'll admit that I killed a man, but he was a bastard who would have ruined a girl's life with not a care in the world. Men like that donnae deserve to walk God's green earth.”

She knew she should shoot him, or at least scream for help, but something in his earnest eyes stopped her. Pointing her crossbow at the ground with her finger still ready on the trigger, she motioned him to come closer. He did, being careful not to alarm her. Both their heads bolted to the side as they heard footsteps and shouts, very close this time. Anna motioned to the clump of bushes that she always hid behind when she wanted to be along. “Hide in there, quickly now!” He had just enough time to get settled in the brush when two soldiers burst into the clearing, stopping short when they saw the girl with the crossbow.

“Miss, we're looking for a man that ran through here not too long ago. Have you seen anyone?” Anna looked nonchalant. “No sir, I've not seen anyone except for you two fine gentlemen.” Their chests swelling with pride, they grinned, then glanced back at her crossbow. “Miss, if you don't mind my askin'... why do you have a crossbow?”

Anna smiled demurely. “My beau loves to practice out here, and I sneak out here alone to meet with him. He'll be here any minute; in fact, I thought you were he!” She giggled, then said quietly, “But you mustn’t tell anyone, my parents would be very cross if they knew he and I were out here alone! Can I trust you with my secret? I would be forever in your debt!” The men looked at each other, then nodded. “Of course, miss; but I wouldn't advise being out here alone today, there's a rouge scotsman on the loose today.”

Anna gasped. “What did he do?” The soldier replied, “He killed a guard in cold blood, miss. And that's why we have to leave, we've got to find him before he gets away! Good day to you.” Anna bowed. “And good day to you, fine sirs!” Grinning, they marched off to look for their prey. Anna chuckled to herself; men were too easy. Bat your eyelashes at them, and they turn into mush.

When they were gone, Anna warily turned to face the bushes where William was hiding. “You can come out now, but do so slowly.” William slowly crawled out from the bushes and sat on the ground with his hands in front of him. “Is this alright, lass? I don't want to scare ye.” She nodded. “Now tell me how you got here, and tell me more about why you killed that man. If I'm going to let you go, I need to be sure that you're not actually guilty.”

He tilted his head sideways at her. “And why would ye even give me the benefit of the doubt at all, lass? Why not just assume yer English soldiers are right, and that I deserve to die?” She sighed, finally releasing her hold on the trigger and sitting down across from him, although still at a safe distance. Her nightmares flashed through her mind, reminding her of what she had seen. “I've seen some of the horrible things my people have done to your people,” she said quietly. “If you're not guilty and I let you escape an unjust death, then I'll feel like I'm making up for it in some small way.”

William stared at her. Here was a woman who was not only brave enough to threaten him with a crossbow, but smart enough to know how to use it in the first place. And in case that wasn't impressive enough, now she was showing compassion to the people her king was tormenting. “Lass, if ye like, I'll tell ye my story from the beginning. Then you can judge if my actions were right or wrong. If ye want to take me in after, I'll not stop ye.”

Anna watched him as he talked. She had never seen someone as handsome as he was, and she had certainly never talked to a man with such a lovely accent! His very words seemed to roll over her like a flood of warm water, his Scottish brogue rolling effortlessly from his enticing lips. Most of her suitors had been pasty, pale men who spent more time learning dance steps than being active outdoors. But this man... he was rugged and dangerous. His tanned skin showed that he was used to being outdoors, and his muscles... she blushed as she realized her gaze had wandered to his arm where the sleeve had torn, revealing the solid flesh beneath. She broke out of her reverie as she realized she was getting carried away. She had to stop before she started looking at his legs where the kilt ended. “Go ahead, sir; I'll hear your story.”

William started at the very beginning, telling her about his parents and the night they died. He told her of his long journey with his brother to his uncle's, and then about the English visit. He then explained about the men who were trying to rape the woman, and how he had killed the man out of anger at what he was trying to do. “Then I had to leave my home, lass. I've been running for three days now, trying to reach the coast so I can sail to Ireland. I hear it would be safe for me there, so I can start a new life. Someday I'll bring my brother with me, if he wants to come.” He finished his tale and looked at her.

Anna was silent; she was fighting back tears. William saw it, and tried to apologize. “Lass if I've said anything to scare or hurt ye-” She waved her hand, cutting him off. “It's not what you said, sire, it's what was done to you,” she said quietly. “No one should have to live through what you have lived through.” She stood suddenly. “Come with me, I'll show you where you can hide.” He got to his feet and allowed himself the first smile he'd had in days. “Ye mean you're not gonnae turn me in lass?” She shook her head. “No, I believe you. And I'll help you stay hidden until I can figure out how to get you on one of those ships.”

As he reached her, he grabbed her hand. She tensed, but he didn't seem to want to harm her, so she didn't back away. “Thank you,” he whispered simply. Then he dropped her hand and let her lead the way through the woods.

Anna was flustered. Very flustered. How was is that a brute of a man, in a skirt no less, could make her feel so...... he made her feel so...... She couldn't even name what she was feeling, but she had a feeling it was going to cause her trouble.

What was she doing, anyways? Helping a strange man who was wanted for murder! Was she going crazy? Maybe she was still dreaming. Anna pinched herself as they walked, causing her to yelp. William raised an eyebrow. “Are ye hurt, lass?” She gritted her teeth. “Yes, I'm just fine. I just stepped on a stick, that's all.” She rolled her eyes and mentally slapped herself. “Idiot! What are you thinking!”

William followed her down the trail as she walked. He tried not to look, but he couldn't help but notice how nicely her dress flowed over her slender hips, hugging her curves in all the right places. She was petite, and he decided she was probably the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen. “Och, why do the pretty ones have to be the ones I can't have!” He groaned inwardly.

Suddenly she stopped. “We're here,” Anna said softy.

*******************************************************************************************************

 I know, I know... I did it again. You'll just have to wait for the next installment to find out where she is taking him, and what will happen once they get there ;) In the meantime, PLEASE vote and comment!!