Epilogue

In the years after the Games it became apparent that many mates had been lost during the dark times, as all of the Warriors now called it. This is a devastating blow for the entire community and many warrior wolves were lost to their grief. For many years Warriors travelled to the packs in the Spring as they have always done on the hopes of finding their mates. But after four years some lose hope, wolves that were in the Arena during the Games are becoming more grief stricken.

In the first few years some of the wolves enter the woods after the spring travel and never return. There are rumours that these Warriors go wolf never shifting back to their human selves. One of the wolves that disappeared was Carson, the kind medic who had treated the women as they returned to the camp with their mates. His loss was mourned by the whole community not least the women who had found his quiet and calm presence of great comfort. His mate would have been a lucky woman, but it became apparent that his mate had been lost and he simply could not bear to live without her, so one morning he went for a walk and never returned.

Ethan's friends become increasingly concerned for him as each year he returns from the spring travel alone. On a number of occasions they have found him deep in the woods simply staring at nothing. One night they join him to try and get him to open up to them. All realise how painful it must be for Ethan to see his entire unit with their mates, starting families and to still be alone.

The three friends approach him and Bear called out "Ethan, please tell us what is happening. Are you OK?"

Ethan bowed his head, "It's my fault. My fault she's dead. I was a selfish ass. What if she was there in the two years I didn't want to travel, didn't want to give up my lifestyle. What if she waited for me, hoping I would come and help her, and I didn't, I never came." Ethan is becoming emotional, tears dripping down his face. His brothers realise that Ethan is torturing himself, feeling the guilt of his decision to not travel. Bear reaches out and grips his shoulder, "You didn't hurt her, you didn't institute the Games, this isn't your fault. You're spending a lot of time out here; you are planning on heading out there like the others are you?"

"I think I might need to leave for a bit. Maybe hang out in a human town away from wolves."

"Fine, but we're helping you." Daric insisted.

****

It took several weeks but finally Ethan found a small town well away from any werewolf territories which he liked the look of. Pulling up to the small house he had rented Ethan, Daric and Zev jumped out of the car. Bear had chosen to stay at home, Senna was due any day now, it was their first pup and Bear was freaking out. Senna was part way through her medical degree and this little pup was a pleasant surprise.

It only took one trip to empty the car of Ethan's possessions.

"You guys want to grab a beer?" enquired Ethan.

As soon as they step into the only bar in town they instantly smell the wolf. Looking at each other in surprise, a wolf here, there are no packs for hundreds of miles, what would a wolf be doing here? Could they be a Rogue? This concerned Ethan. Were they dangerous?

The three wolves spread out and quickly tracked the smell to the women behind the bar. She was petite with curly auburn hair and bright blue eyes, "Mate!" Ethan growls.

Her head snaps up and she spots the three wolves in front of her, horrified she abandons her task and scurries away. They watch as she tells her boss that she's sick and needs to go home. Rushing through the back door she disappears. Casually the wolves head out and unseen they follow her home. Why is she so afraid? She isn't part of a pack so what could have happened? But if she's Ethan's mate then that means she is a rejected she-wolf.