Chapter 2

Primrose's POV

I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling, in the distance I can hear the rest of the pack starting to move around the pack house. Wincing I roll out of the small bed and haul myself to my feet. The pain from my leg is almost unbearable. The beatings from the werewolf who the Moon Goddess decided was supposed to be my other half were becoming worse. Last week he had stamped on my leg so hard that something in my knee cracked. He had made a point of hitting the same spot every day since then. At this point I wasn't sure it would ever heal correctly, even with my werewolf strength.

I finished getting ready and headed down the pack kitchen, making sure to avoid as many werewolves as possible. Ever since Perry rejected me others in the pack have been quick to lift their hands to me. Before I was always invisible, I've always been shy, a little quiet and found it hard to make friends easily. But ever since the most popular guy in school recognised me as his mate a little over a year ago my life has been hell. Perry rejected me immediately in front of the entire pack and this meant that overnight it was free for all on Primrose, any pack member could take their anger out on me and no-one would lift a finger to stop them. The Alpha and Beta of the pack knew what was happening and condoned the behaviour; they even indulged in it themselves occasionally. I had to get out of here.

Fixing myself a glass of water I contemplated my options while looking out the window towards the woods which backed onto the pack house. I could leave, but where would I go with my high school education, I would have no pack. A lone female wolf without a pack is nothing but a target. Sighing this is same conversation I have had with myself every day for a year. Stiffening as I hear others making their way to the kitchen I shuffle out as quickly as I can, not quick enough it seems. Perry is standing at the door with that evil smirk he wears every time he looks at me. As he moves towards me all I can think is why has the Moon Goddess paired me with such a monster, what did I do to deserve this?

Grabbing me by the neck Perry hisses, "You'll be getting what you deserve now bitch." Dropping me to the floor Perry takes his inevitable shot at my knee and leaves. What did he mean by that?

I retreated to my room, and by room I do mean essentially the old broom cupboard. This is where I was forced to move the night that Perry rejected me, after my parents kicked me out of the family home because I was quote "A disgrace to the family and all werewolves". My own mum told me it would have better if I had died.

Making it back to my room I resolve to keep out of everyone's way, the same as I do every day. Is this my life now, will this ever be over? There was another rejected She-Wolf in this pack 3 years ago when I was 16. She didn't last long; she was killed 6 months after she was rejected. No-one cared; everyone knows that it was her ex-mate that killed her but no-one will do anything about it. Rejected She-Wolves have always been treated badly in the packs but in the last few years it's gotten so much worse. The whole thing is unfair, I've never heard of a she-wolf rejecting her mate, because if she did she would be without a pack. But male wolves can reject their mates and suffer no consequences at all.

When I was younger the Warriors would visit the packs every year to see if they could find their mates. I saw them sometimes, I can remember a wolf called Bernadette being taken away by one of the Warriors, he looked at her with such love, and you could just tell that they would be happy together. Bernadette had been hit by her ex-mate the day before the Warriors arrived, she had a black eye and bruises on her arm, the Warrior went crazy, he punched the guy that hurt her. Luckily the other Warriors were able to pull him away or he would have killed that guy. That was the thing, back then there were limits on what you could do to a wolf that had been abandoned by their mate, because you never knew if she would be chosen by a Warrior. Everyone was afraid of what the Warriors would do if they found out that their mates had been harmed, this was enough to keep the worst of abuse at bay, not anymore.