Chapter 11 Finn and Clover

Clovers POV

Clovers POV

I've been in this Arena for three weeks and there are just some things that aren't making any sense.

I pride myself on being a sensible and practical sort of woman. Throughout my whole life I've always known that I am undeniably average.

Average looks, average height, average figure, average intelligence, and average personality. I have accepted this about myself a long time ago, blending into the background at school and working hard to get my decent results. My hard work paid off and I was able to get into university to study nursing. It was on a break from school when I was visiting my parents when I met my mate, Doug.

Doug was a little disappointed in his average little mate. He was a Gamma in our pack and had women throwing themselves at him. All these women were tall, with beautiful faces, flawless skin and stunning figures, all things that I was not, with my boring blue eyes and freckles marring my face. The one feature that I was truly proud of was my hair, it was a warm brown colour and soft, falling in natural curls to my hips, I was lucky in that I didn't have to spend much time or money with this feature. This was also the one thing in my life were I didn't bow to practicality. The length of my hair was the only part of my being where I was a little vain, everything else was jeans, t-shirts, converse and no makeup, but my hair I spent money on to keep it shiny and strong. Unfortunately Doug did not appreciate my hair, seemingly more interested in other...assets.

So Doug decided that as we were only 20 it would be best that we weren't mates, rather he could continue his ways, sowing his wild oats as he described it. Me being the practical boring little girl I was agreed that perhaps it would be fine if we waited for a few years before settling down. With my parents standing in the background glaring at me, disappointed in their plain average daughter, as though somehow it was my fault that Doug wasn't interested, or my fault that I wasn't as beautiful as the other daughters in the community. But Doug disagreed; we wouldn't be mates in a few years when he had gotten his fill of other women. So he rejected me in front of everyone at the pack BBQ.

After this I was shunned from the community, again this was obviously my fault despite the fact that I had offered to wait as my mate cheated on me relentlessly with other women. Was this not enough for them, that I would put myself through the pain of a cheating mate just to keep him happy? Apparently not, so I was forced to quit University and return to the pack in disgrace. I wasn't worthy of the education being granted to me. Then I was assigned low level jobs in the community that did nothing to challenge my meagre abilities. My parents who has never displayed any interest in their plain daughter had even less interest in me now that I was a failure and so they kicked me out of our home, meaning I had to move into the pack house.

The only thing I could be grateful for was that the Alpha and Luna of my pack were kind and sympathetic. The Alpha made a speech that physical attacks on rejected she-wolves would not be tolerated in his pack, and for that I could be grateful. I still had to see my ex-mate parade an endless supply of beautiful women in front of me. But unlike some of my sisters I was not subjected to any physical abuse and I didn't have to feel the pain of a cheating mate. When the guards arrived to take rejected she-wolves my Alpha grilled them for more than 30 minutes as to what the Games would entail. Having met some Warriors previously he was satisfied that I would be safe and allowed them to take me. Alpha and Luna wished me luck and sent me on my way. My parents on the other hand didn't even say goodbye. After meeting the others taking part in the Games I am glad that my Alpha and Luna were such good and kind leaders, I recognise now how much they had protected me. Unfortunately my Alpha had been lied to, I wasn't safe at these Games and I wouldn't meet my mate.