Chapter 16

Later that day everyone gathered in the Hall, including the Warriors, the women and the parents. As previously they watched all the exits to ensure that no-one interrupted or eavesdropped not their conversation.

The 2 missing Warriors had quietly detached themselves from the Guards yesterday during the confrontation in the Hall and rejoined the main group. Everyone was hoping that they managed to gain to some useful information.

Alric cleared his throat to gain everyones attention, "The reason I asked everyone to come here is that there have been some very odd occurrences recently. Obviously the first started 5 years ago when the travel was stopped but there is more to it. Our mates were told that they would be attacked by the Warriors when they entered the Arena, and that they would be executed if they contravened any rules." Alrics statement was met by gasps and shouts of outrage from the parents.

"Well I think that there is something deeper going on and I asked my friends Blake and Thomas to investigate. Could you tell us what you found."

Blake stepped up, "We followed the Councillor and overhead plenty."

****

The Councillor paced angrily back and forth ranting at his assistant. "How could they all come out of the woods. ALL OF THEM! Stupid bitches, they can't even get this right, all they had to do was die. How can we achieve our aims if those pathetic she-wolves are still here?"

His obsequious assistant tried to calm the councillor down but to no avail.

"Those Warriors were supposed to lose complete control as soon as they scented those she-wolves. They were supposed to fuck them to death! They were denied their mates for 5 years, it should have made them crazy. Wolves can't survive without their mates. The thought of their little mates being hurt should have driven every single one of them mad with grief."

In his temper the Councillor began to destroy his makeshift office, throwing items and smashing them against the wall.

"How can we destroy the Warriors now? He is going to be furious. The whole point of this elaborate set up was to destroy the Warriors. They would never have been able to live with themselves after they fucked those little girls to death. This is intolerable. What am I going to tell him?"

At this the Councillor stopped his rant and turned to face his assistant.

"Actually, what are you going to tell him. You can go to him and explain that the she-wolves survived and are mated. The Warriors are not devastated and distracted. He cannot go ahead with this rebellion now, the Warriors are just as strong as they have always been. There is one more thing I can try, but I cannot guarantee its success. Luckily I have a few of the original mates of the she-wolves, I can try and separate at least some of the Warriors from those bitches. Go quickly and tell him all."

The Warriors stayed in the shadows hoping to hear more about this apparent plot and gain some information on who is behind this entire thing. But unfortunately after the assistant left the Councillor stormed out muttering to himself.

****

Everyone listened in complete silence to Blakes report of the mission to infiltrate the Guards. This was much more serious that anyone had considered. This was not about making the she-wolves or the Warriors suffer. There was only one explanation to this. The plot was to destabilise the Warriors so that they would be unable to defend the Alpha King from attack.

It was no secret that Warriors valued their mates above all else. If the 8 women who had entered the Arena had been killed by the Warriors the results would have been devastating. The Councillor clearly expected them to lose all control and only come back to themselves when they left the Arena. If that had indeed happened the guilt would have killed them. The loss of so many mates at the hands of the Warriors themselves would have destabilised the younger men back at the Barracks.