Chapter 17- What's my age again?

"They do not take you seriously, you're too young," Gaea reminded me as I tried to stop a couple of boneheaded empousai from starting a cat fight in the courtyard.

"Then what do I do? Nobody is taking me seriously, and no one wants to take orders from me because they don't trust me!"

"They may not trust you, but let's not forget that they fear you. You may have died, but the power of the Styx never left you, and as far as they know you are a god."

"The god of no respect," I muttered under my breath. I stood on a large stone balcony overlooking the cobblestone courtyard of an old Czech palace. It was high noon, and the sun lit the old cobblestone square a sunbaked gold.

"If respect is what you want..." Gaea let her rumbling voice trail off. Her dark, earthy pallor looked like a woman of soil in the afternoon rays. It was strange, really, that she seemed so alive when she was still in a lull. Her eyes were lightly closed, and I wondered what they would look like open. I reminded myself sharply that I did not trust her. In fact, I was waiting for her betrayal at any moment. "It's a hard price to pay, if you're willing to pay it."

"Pay what?" My mind had trailed off for a moment, and I'd tuned her out.

"You want respect, do you not?"

"Of course-"

"I can give you that, if you will trust me." Something in her tone of voice made goosebumps rise on my skin. It was dark and full of mystery.

"W-what do you mean?"

"You're young, daughter of the Sea. The armies do not take you seriously because you do not look powerful. What if you looked as powerful as you really are?" The goosebumps did not leave.

"In all honesty, my Lady, I don't even know how powerful I am. Sure, I may be invincible, I may be able to wield a weapon and make a wave, but I've never actually done anything noteworthy. I've never actually used my powers beyond anything simple."

"But you are capable of so much more. You could be the grain of rice that tips the scale of our world. You, and you alone. Do you want that?"

No. I did not want to be the one to determine whether our world would rise or fall, that was supposed to be up to my brother. Nobody ever gave me the choice to this. But the opportunity was here and I couldn't deny it, that would mean I'd be denying Gaea's offer to stop the war- if it was actually legitimate. So, I agreed. "Do what you have to do." And a mischievous smile, and the worst pain I've ever felt in my life later, I knew what she meant.

At first, there was just pain; worse than the Styx, worse than getting stabbed in your Achillies heel a million times. It was black-out, forget who you are and why you're still living pain. And then, it was darkness. I slept like a rock for who knows how long.

When I finally began to gain consciousness, all I could hear was ringing. I pried my eyelids open, which felt like lead, and nothing would come into focus. Just ringing and blurs, and a body I could not feel. Then, the ringing faded, and the blurs sharpened, and the hit-by-a-truck feeling spread throughout my body. Only, it wasn't my body. Not really.

I was laying on a hospital cot in the middle of an old, stone room. Probably somewhere in the palace. Old, rich-colored tapestries hung heavily from the walls, which were covered in dust. Slightly creepy, I had to admit, but it wasn't nearly close to the creepiest part. That part was saved for myself.

Looking down at my hands, they were thin and bony. My body was older, longer, and just-different. As soon as I sat up, a huge wave of dizziness swept over me, and the few things I had managed to eat came right back up. What have I done? The unfamiliar hands on my unfamiliar body were uncontrollably shaky. After a few minutes, I managed to stand up and stumble over to the small mirror that rested on a large oak desk in the corner of the room. What I saw made my blood turn to ice.

Pale skin stretched over a bold, beautiful face with prominent cheekbones and dark, icy green eyes. Thick, auburn hair fell in loose curls to my thin waist. I wasn't a teenager anymore-not by my looks that is. I was a completely different person, but I could still see little hints of myself in the woman's body. A light dust of freckles, the curly auburn hair, and most of all in my deep green eyes. (A/N: The older Stella should look like younger Angelina Jolie!)

A shuffle of feet at the opposite end of the room made me jump. No one had been here before... I slowly turned my unfamiliar body around to face the owner of the feet. It was a boy, around the age I'd been before Gaea gave me ten years. Dark, messy hair hung over his pale face, falling around his glittering, black eyes.

"What the... Who are you?" He stumbled backward, pure shock on his face.

"Nico-"

"How do you know my name?" He snapped, pulling out his Stygian Iron sword, quickly. "You're not who I was looking for. I'm not supposed to be here."

"It's me, Nico, Stella..." I was confused as well, until I realized how I must look to him. I wasn't me, I was older, more powerful. Heck, I scared myself.

"No!" His sword arm shook, and his eyes were wild. Who are you?"

"Nico," My voice was hard, unwavering. "You have to trust me." Looking down at my hands, I noticed my jeweled ring still sat on my middle finger. I pulled it off, immediately changing into a full length bronze sword.

Recognition sparked in his eyes, and he scanned me nervously. I could see him staring at my familiar qualities, taking everything in with a skeptical eye. "What has she done to you?"

"Nico, I chose to do this. Gaea-she doesn't want the war. It won't end well either way. If we win, we will have to destroy her. We can't destroy Gaea without destroying the world."

"And what, you trust that? You're siding with Gaea. Look at yourself. Why? How can you trust her? It's a trick!"

"I don't trust her, idiot. I'm doing what I think is right. I'm stopping this war. Isn't that what we all want? She changed me, yes. I needed respect and she aged me to look powerful. I'm leading the troops with her. You have a spy on the inside for once, Nico! We can stop her-"

"Are you sure you're our spy? 'Cause as far as I know, nobody knows about this."

Frustrated, I clenched my fists. "I couldn't say anything even if I wanted! I took an oath. But I am trying to do the right thing, and you can't even realize that."

"No," Nico said, shaking his head. "Connor didn't die for this. You decide who's side your on, and what you're doing and then think about how it will all end. In the meantime, I'm going to try to stop the temperatures from rising at Camp, maybe give Stoll a little visit. But you think about it, Stella." And just like that, he was gone into the shadows.

I plopped down on the cot with a sigh. Did I really have a plan for this? I knew Connor would hate me, and if Nico tells him... He would never forgive me. Ever. His words kept replaying in my head, over and over; Whose side are you really on here? I don't know anymore.

• • • • • •

I updated before I said I would because I'm just that awesome(-: Just kidding, but I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter. Plot twist much? Leave your opinions and questions in the comment box below! Thanks for still keeping up guys, it really means a lot :D And I have a little question for you awesome dedicated people, Who is your favorite character so far, and why? Next update will be soon, love y'all. xx