Chapter 16- Let's Gather 'Round the Campfire

•Stella Maris•

I wasn't trusted to visit camp unless some weird binding ritual between Gaea and I was performed, so I got to experience the lovely appearance of the Earth Highness herself, and sharing blood and Ichor with her. Sarcasm noted. Helping Gaea out did not mean I had to like her, or agree with her on everything. I was just doing what I had to do, fulfilling with flying colors that Connor would never in a million years approve of. So much for upholding his honor. But Gaea was right about one thing, it's not just about our rivalries anymore, it's about the end. So I tore my hand open with a blade and binded myself with the earth.

I wandered around the streets of Manhattan for a few hours, mainly looking for change on the ground, when I realized that maybe I'd left a few brain cells back in Asphodel. I'm a demigod, I don't even need a cab. And a loud whistle and a few minutes later, my dear brother's Pegasus was landing in a junky alleyway behind Whole Foods.

"BlackJack, I need to get back to camp."

"Uhhh, I dunno kid. You smell like death, a lot of it. Where have you been? Everyone thinks you're dead." BlackJack whinnied nervously, looking at me through wild eyes.

"I was dead, but I'm not now and that's what matters. Are you taking me or not?"

He still looked uncertain, if horses could, but he bowed his head and let me climb on.

By the time I reached Camp, the sun was high in the sky and the valley was a mix of demigods rushing about. It took me a moment to realize that the mix was not just Greek, but Roman as well, and Reyna was standing proud, talking to Chiron. Everyone seemed in good spirits, positive, hopeful, happy even. Until I arrived.

BlackJack touched down right in the middle of all the commotion-which seemed to be a meeting of the Council of Cloven Elders. Everyone was talking, arguing, laughing, but it all stopped abruptly, leaving the field dead quiet.

"Stella-" Chiron was too stunned to speak. The message was clear: what the hell are you doing here when you're supposed to be dead?! I didn't know myself, honestly.

"You've got a lot of explaining to do is all I can say..." Nico Di Angelo was suddenly whispering in my ear, a small smirk showing his delight of everyone's sincere confusion. He must have known.

I nodded, and straightened up to appear less nervous than I was. "Yes, I'm alive. And I came here to inform all of you of a new danger, and also to see what I missed in my absence." Probably the most pathetic speech I could give, but I was getting death glares from more than a few Romans and it really downs your self esteem. And then I saw Travis, and the pain surfaced, and it was all I could do not to break down in front of these people. He didn't know, I could see it in his eyes, and I silently cursed Connor for leaving me with this responsibility. How do you tell someone that you let their twin sacrifice their life for your own?

The long moment of silence ended when Chiron loudly cleared his throat and noted, "Well then, Council dismissed. Stella... Come with me."

I nearly had to run to keep up with Chiron's steady trot, as he headed across the valley to the big house. Inside, he led me to a small room occupied by a desk and a few chairs. Pictures of campers lined the walls, some dating back to the 70's and maybe even before. I recognized the old, black telephone on the desk as the only one in camp.

"I am not here to hammer you with a plethora of questions, but I think I do deserve a descent explanation, young lady." Chiron's tone was both scolding and concerned, reminding me that I should watch what came out of my mouth.

You're a traitor, Stella. You're siding with Gaea, you know this is wrong. I had a war in my mind, and I was afraid neither sides would win and I'd just become a lunatic. But I told him the story; my dip in the Styx, the battle in Tarturas, my death, Death, and Connor's trade, deliberately avoiding my decisions afterward. When I finished, Chiron was silent and grim.