Chapter 22

Chapter Twenty-Two

Kassiya's POV

After all these years, he hasn't changed one single bit.

He had the same hazelnut hair that was tinged red, the same midnight blue eyes, the same skin tone that was a bit darker than mine.

He hadn't changed. At. All.

Zeric, the guy who had been my best friend since god knows how long.

You're probably thinking 'what the fuck?' right now, so I'll explain.

Zeric Adron Hall had been my best friend since we were 7 years old.

He was the best guy friend any girl could ever ask for.

He was caring, helpful, friendly, and you could go to him for advice. He was everyone's dream friend (well, for girls that is).

When I was physically hurt or sick; he'd care for me.

When I was emotionally hurt; he'd cheer me up with ice cream or we'd watch a movie.

He'd warn off any person who he KNEW would hurt or offend me in any way. We may have been only 7 at the time, but hell, he could be pretty damn scary!

He'd have sleepovers almost every day -- he practically lived with me.

He was my best friend, and I loved him dearly (as a friend).

But he broke my heart.

It was my 10th birthday and obviously, he was first on the invite list.

But he didn't show up.

I waited the whole day; feeling nothing but sadness and despair as I realized that Zeric wasn't going to come.

I was confused, though -- he was always first to come for my birthday parties.

It was almost time to blow out the candles but I felt the need to go into my room for a second. To clear my head and calm my rapid breathing.

I closed my bedroom door and found a note on the bed -- its pale, white texture giving a noticeable contrast to the green sheet it lay on.

My name was written in scratchy writing that I immediately recognized as Zeric's.

I eagerly opened it, a genuine smile plastered stupidly on my face, but slowly dropped to a horror-struck frown as I read those four shocking words.

Kassiya,

I left.

I'm sorry.

- Zeric

At first I didn't understand. I was completely confused and sad as to what he meant by 'left'.

Did he mean he was on vacation?

Did he mean he moved somewhere else?

But I knew that Zeric would have told me if he was moving.

He wouldn't have given me just a note -- he would have told me face to face and then hugged me and say good-bye.

In the note; he didn't even say good-bye.

I had sat on the bed, and wondered and wondered, but I was shocked and confused and I couldn't make sense of anything.

Then my mom had come to see where I was and read the note.

She had said, "Oh! That's right, they moved. I'm sorry, hunny." And then she hugged me and told me to come downstairs to blow out the candles.