Chapter II; Holding Back

Y frowned as she watched DiZ where he sat at the computer. He was turned to face both her and the hooded man. The man wrapped in a red scarf was tense. Y guessed that meant he was angry. Not that she could blame him for that. She tugged on her silver gloves that went up the length of her arm. She couldn't show off her Heartless emblem, so it had come to this.

"Organization miscreants. They've found us." DiZ said. As Y had suspected he was angry. She leaned back with a frown as she kicked her feet back and forth. She was sitting on some metal box, probably filled with electronics.

"But why would they steal photographs?" The hooded man asked. Y glanced to him out of the corner of her eye. He almost felt like another Heartless. Perhaps the one they had called Ansem. But he had been defeated. So perhaps it wasn't.

"It was just Dusks, for now, they aren't the smartest." Y explained. The hooded man turned his attention to her for a brief moment. Looking at her he would never guess how she was involved with DiZ. Or why. She wore simple white clothing for the most part. White shorts and a white tank top with a black feather on the front. She had a gold belt and black socks that reached her knees. The strangest thing about her were her eyes and hair, neither seemed really natural. Her orange eyes seemed to see past the exterior and into the heart.

"Both are nothing but data to them. The fools could never tell the difference. We are running out of time. Naminé must make haste." DiZ said turning the hooded man's attention away from Y. She frowned at the mention of the blonde Nobody. She hadn't seen much of her. DiZ was working her too hard.

"Until then we need more of a presence in town. I can't babysit Roxas and take out Dusks at the same time. Not to mention I still have to patch the holes in the system too." Y said. DiZ nodded slowly and turned to look at the hooded man. Y guessed that meant he would be dropping by more often. She wasn't sure how she felt about that, but it was something.

When Y returned to the town it was a new day. Which meant Roxas had a new goal. Some task that was meant to keep him busy for the day. Y had run into Roxas earlier that day, quite literally. But she hadn't asked him what he was up to. She was too busy regretting her decision. Working in the town gave her no chance of separating Roxas from his other. She didn't have the time, and she didn't have her friends.

Y frowned looking at the posters in her hand. They were for the Struggle tournament in a few days. Roxas was the only reason she knew that. She wasn't really sure what Struggle was. Some game she guessed.

"Hey Y!" Y stopped and turned to face whoever it was that had yelled for her attention. Of course it was Roxas. Y smiled softy as Roxas approached her.

"I didn't do it." Y stated. Roxas laughed at her reaction. Y smiled despite her feeling of guilt.

"Do you think you have any jobs I could do to earn extra munny? Hayner is insisting we go to the beach." Roxas asked. Y frowned and tapped her chin. Most of her jobs involved programming. And she really couldn't ask Roxas to do that.

"The beach? Sounds fun." Y said. She hoped DiZ had a plan. There was no beach programmed in. Y sighed. "You know, I still have to finish up my summer project for school. Think you can finish putting up these posters?" Y asked.

"Sure." Roxas agreed without missing a beat. He took the stack of posters from Y still smiling brightly.

"Let me know when you're done, I'll pay you then." Y said, smiling in return.

"Thanks." Roxas said before he darted off. Y watched him for a moment with a sad smile. She sighed before returning to her home in the town.

Y sat at her computer desk and put on a headset. DiZ didn't usually speak to her directly, but sometimes he decided there was something he couldn't figure out and Y had to do it from inside the town. It also helped her focus when she had music playing. She didn't want to be sidetracked in the middle of patching part of the system. That had happened before and it had resulted in a strange glitch.