Studying, Studying, Studying?

HALEY

I opened up my math textbook. Focus Haley. I had to pass this final exam. I needed the A in this class so that I could be accepted into Cambridge. IT was all I had dreamed about for the past 3 years. Going to university in England was the biggest dream I have ever had. I wasn’t big on dreams. I liked to focus more on reality than the what ifs. I saw no point in them. I had now doodled the word “England” 7 times in my textbook. Once again I told myself to focus. It didn’t work. I was the worst self-motivator in the history of the planet. All the formulas looked blurred on the page as if they were telling me I shouldn’t look at them and to just ignore them. I looked around the library at all the students. Some were sitting alone while some were in groups of 2 or 4, but all were completely stressing out whether that meant staring at the page, angrily running their hand through their hair or being surrounded by every single sheet of paper they had received this year. It was dead silent in here. The door to the library opened and several people wandered in. Not one person looked up from their work. I recognized them as a few seniors from school. They were already done with finals so I have no idea why they were in the library. I decided it didn’t matter and turned back to my attempted studying. Then something hit me. I did a double take at the seniors again. Something was wrong. Their skin was green and their faces emotionless. They walked so slow, they resembled zombies. I sat there utterly confused for a moment. I figured it out! It was the senior prank. It was simply genius. Everyone was already a zombie from finals so it was a little joke on us. I began to hope they would start doing the Thriller dance. I almost laughed as I imagined this.

            BANG! I snapped back to reality and saw one of the “zombies” had knocked over a bookcase. All eyes were positioned towards him now. Everyone has noticed the strangeness that had sauntered into our library now. No one said a word. Well, except for the librarian.

            “David it is not okay to not okay to knock over bookcases. Please pick it up. If you need assistance in finding a book, I will be happy to help.” The librarian said. David turned to her and muttered a long chain of syllables that no one could understand. Lots of whispers of “what is happening?” floated through the library. I whispered back saying it’s the senior prank.

            “David are you alright?” The librarian asked the boy while putting a hand on his shoulder. Everyone was staring so intently at the situation but no one could have predicted what would happen next. David ripped off the poor woman’s hand. A scream echoed through the room. We all were torn on whether to laugh or clap at this amazing performance, but instead we decided to scream and panic. Blood was flowing and the bone was clearly seen. This could not have been fake. Whatever was going on, it was definitely not the senior prank. I grabbed all my stuff and ran towards the back door. I’m not sure why I brought my backpack in a fight against zombies, but it was making running quite difficult. I can’t believer I just said “a fight against zombies”. I looked over my shoulder and saw everyone sprinting towards their car like me. I reached my car and frantically grabbed for my keys that were in my pocket. I heard approaching footsteps. These weren’t the panicked, fast ones though. I turned around and saw a zombie getting extremely close to me.  Now that it was closer, I could see it’s rotten skin and tears in his clothes. It wasn’t exactly like in the movies but it definitely did not look human. The zombie was inching closer. I looked everywhere but there was no weapon near me. I looked down and saw the closest thing to a weapon I have.

I chucked my math textbook as hard as I could at the zombie’s head. That book must have weighed a ton. The zombie’s slow reaction did not help as it stumbled backwards from the pressure of the book. He tripped over a rock and fell flat on his back. All this gave me just enough time to get in my car and drive away. As I was leaving the school, I saw several zombies coming after everyone’s car, but we were much faster and it’s not easy to break through a car. We sped away wanting to get away from this horrible situation as fast as possible.