Chapter 47

Emerald's POV

I wondered who the important visitors were, maybe some business colleagues of dad from abroad. I just hoped that Crystal heard wrong, not a man my parents wanted me to marry.

My parents could not enforce to choose a husband for me. They knew that it would only cause endless arguments and resulted humiliation and disappointment to the family circle.

Well, dad would insist, but mom... I know mom too well. She showed warmth and responsiveness to the needs of her children. She wanted our happiness and satisfaction for the rest of our lives. She would not suggest an arranged marriage.

"Wear a nice formal dress." Mom reminded me and Crystal when we went back inside the house.

"Who's the visitor?"

"You'll find out later." Mom winked at me then went to the kitchen.

I took a bath in less than ten minutes. Not the usual 45 minutes to an hour totally spacing out, getting soggy and cold. 

I headed to my two-levels wardrobe afterwards wondering why I got too crazy buying too many clothes that I did not even bother to wear. Most of it even still have tags. There were also plenty of signature shoes, bags, hats, gloves, belts, accessories and jewelries. What was I thinking? I wasted too much of my parents money. I could have made a shelter for the homeless children or rescued dogs out of these material things.

I chose a simple elegant one-strap white cocktail dress. Actually, I did not remember buying this dress. Maybe one of the dresses I just pointed in random or asked one of my assistants to pick for me. Whatever. I looked at the tag attached to it, it was worth ten thousand dollars. Before, I considered it too cheap, but now, I realized it was too expensive. 

I was seated in front of my vanity table made finishing touches of my makeup when I heard a knock on the door. 

"Come in."

It was my brother, Zion wearing a formal dark suit. It made me very curious about who the visitor was. 

"Hey." He greeted as he entered my room then dropped down on an armchair, facing me.

I was surprised when I saw him. It had been too long since he came here in my room. Since he left for university, we rarely saw him. And when he graduated and came back here in New York, he'd been very busy working in the family business. He became workaholic, strict and rarely smiled. No matter how he pretended to be fine, but I knew that deep inside he was miserable. Thanks goodness, he met Claire again and made him back to his old self. His life became complete when he married Claire, especially that they were expecting a baby now. 

 "What are you doing here?"

"Just checking if you're okay."

I turned to him and smiled. I realized how I missed my brother. It seemed like it was only yesterday that I confided to him about school, asked him about a math problem, talked about my celebrity crushes, cried to him if I was scolded by dad or mom and asked advices about boys.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Why are you asking?"

"I'm just concern about you. You seemed so quiet nowadays and it's very unusual. Not the same Emerald I knew." He chuckled.

I shrugged my shoulders and gave him a brief smile. "Maybe because there are lot of things I learned lately."

He nodded. "I see the transition from our pampered princess to a confident matured woman, and I can say that I'm very proud of you Emmie."

"Thank you, Zion." I admitted I was a spoiled brat, I could not deny that coming from my own brother, he knew me better. 

"I know you got so annoyed sometimes, especially on me and dad being so protective of you, but I hope you understand that we were doing it only because we care and love you a lot. When you'll find love, a career you'll really love and start a new life on your own, we won't be there anymore to protect you with your problems and emotions."

 "Of course, I understand that. I love you and dad so much, and I know by heart that all this protectiveness are your way of helping me prepare myself to become a mature woman that I wanted to be."

He stood up and put a hand on his pants pocket. 

"And you aced that, Emmie. I see the mature side of you-- the more independent, smart, understanding and compassionate woman. I like it."

I went to him and hugged him. "You're a wonderful brother. I love you, Zion."

He hugged me back and kissed my forehead. "Just remember that you'll always be my baby sister."

Together, we went downstairs. As we descended, the crowd in the living room shifted their eyes at us. My parents, Crystal and Claire were there, including grandpa Markos and grandma Nina, grandma Ruby and grandpa Donovan, aunt Chloe and aunt Sapphire together with their families, Alessandro and nonna. 

"What's going on? Why is everyone in here?" I asked Zion when we were on the last step of the stairs. 

"Because they wanted to welcome our guests."

"Really? They must be very important."

"Yeah, they are." He smiled and tapped my hand that was clasped on his arm. 

I nodded at him then turned to everyone, smiling at them.

"You look so lovely, dear." My grandma Nina said. "I'm so happy for you."

"Um... thank you grandma."

"Hello my beautiful princess." Grandpa Markos hugged me and kissed my temple. "Before anyone takes you, remember this, that you are our princess first. We're always here for you, no matter what happens."

"Of course, grandpa." I said and hugged him back. I wondered why everyone was so affectionate to me and had all their attention. 

Well, not everyone. Dad was acting his normal self though, like it was just a normal family dinner. 

"Emerald, come here." He said when I was talking to my cousins.

I thought he wanted to tell me something very important, but all he wanted was to get him a drink. When I gave him his favorite lemon drop martini, his arm did not leave my shoulders, holding me to his side while talking to uncle Iñigo and aunt Chloe.

"I'm glad that the case against the Stones is over. I could not imagine why Regina Stone pulled that trick and used her own half brother." Aunt Chloe said. 

"I trusted Kevin and all the time he was only waiting for a chance to get hold of my portfolio." I told her about the proceedings in the court and the decision made.

"I'm sure they regretted what they did."

"Yeah."

The doorbell rang and everyone became silent, directed their attention at the door. The butler opened it wide and I was surprised when I saw the first person who came in. Sudden intense pleasure flowed deep in my heart. 

It was Harry and beside him was the king England. 

No wonder he did not answer my calls, he was on his way here in New York. 

**Don't forget to Vote, Comment and Share to your friends**