Chapter 3

I stand outside my Dads house with Bruiser sniffing around everywhere. In my backpack I had food (mostly canned food, condensed milk, long life milk, water and two minute noodles), clothes, first aid kit, torch, walkie talkies, survival kit, rope and weapons. Strapped onto my denim jeans was a Bowie knife and in my jacket pocket was a Swiss Army knife. I also had my bow and arrow which was made of metal and painted black. Ekkia was bringing her bow as well, she was an amazing shot never missing her target. Car tyres crunched up the driveway and a white van pulled up. Ekkia jumped out with a blue backpack and her black bow and arrow. Ekkia had blond hair almost white cut into a pixie cut, she had bright blue eyes, I had shoulder length golden blond hair, one blue eye and one green eye and wore glasses. I chucked her a swag and tube of condensed milk and off we went. I sucked on my tube of condensed milk as we walked in silence.

"It's beautiful out here" Ekkia sighed admiring the beauty of the Australian bush. A mob of kangaroos bounded out of our way as we pushed our way through the thick bush.

"I know" I replied "we have to do this more often"

For the next couple hours we talked about school, friends and who our crushes were. We stopped talking as we reached the face of a cliff, this was the entrance to our secret place. Bruiser slipped behind a pile of bushes and we followed. Behind the bushes was a tunnel, it was wide enough for two people to walk side by side and tall enough for us to stand upright in it. It went on for maybe eight meters then opened up into a clearing. Bush surrounded it on all sides and beyond that huge cliffs forming a valley. A creek ran from one end of the clearing to the other, the clearing was dirt and surprisingly beautiful. We dumped our backpacks down and I headed into the bush to collect firewood. When I got back Ekkia had made a circle in the middle of the clearing with rocks and had laid our swags out.

"Thanks 'E'" I smiled and placed the wood into a pyramid shape. I opened my backpack and rifled around until I found the water proof matches and l lit the fire. It went up with a whoosh and I stared at it entranced for awhile until Bruisers barking alerted me.

"What is he barking at?" I growled and got up with Ekkia following. He was staring into the water in the creek and trying to move a stone with his paw. I sighed and moved the stone only to gasp at what I saw. Two silver necklaces were stuck there. I grabbed them surprised at the weight of them and pulled them out. They were dragons wrapped around a sword which had a round, black crystal in the handle. Black veins ran throughout the dragon and sword. The only difference between the necklaces were the dragons eyes, one had brilliant blue gems for eyes and the other had emerald green gems. Both necklaces were extremely detailed down to the last scale. I handed Ekkia the blue eyed one and she stared at it in awe.

"It's...it's amazing" she breathed examining it.

"Must have been washed down stream" I shrugged marvelling at it's beauty.

Bruiser had lost interest by now and was scouting out some rabbits on the other side of the clearing.

"Want to go to our shooting area?" I asked.

"Yeah!" Ekkia replied grabbing her bow. I grabbed mine and together we pushed our way through the bush into another small clearing. On the trees nearby were painted on targets. We spent the rest of the day practicing, Ekkia got a bullseye every time whilst I usually got a bullseye or close to a bullseye.

"It's getting dark" I observed

"Yeah we should probably head back" Ekkia replied. I whistled and Bruiser came bounding out of the trees carrying one of his chew toys.

When we got back to camp I boiled a pot of tea and made some easy mac which we ate around the fire. It soon grew quite dark and the stars appeared. The night sky was so beautiful full of millions of glittering stars. We chatted for a while more before laying down in our swags and just watching the sky. Soon we both fell asleep, Bruiser curled by my side and the necklace laying heavy on my chest.