Storyteller Chapter 14

Val’s POV

I woke up to the sound of my parents laughing and I sat upright. What could be so funny at seven in the morning on a Wednesday? I got up and put on an olive green top with three buttons holding together the top and some black hipsters. I brushed through my hair over and over again until it was straight then use some of my watermelon lip smackers. I loved fruit flavored lip products if I had to wear any makeup at all. I made sure all of last night’s makeup was gone then put on my black platform sandals. My parents spoiled so I had every article of clothing they approved of. I went out to the kitchen where my parents were talking to someone and Teddy was laughing. “Morning”, I said and he turned his head and I saw it was Derek.

“Morning do you always sleep in so late?” he commented.

“Our little girl has never been an early riser”, my mom laughed.

“She isn’t a morning person remember that one time when she was seven Sylvia”, dad reminded her.

“What are you doing here?” I demanded.

“Today is our date remember”, he said and I wrinkled my nose in disgust.

“That was tonight”, I told him.

“This is an all day date your friends decided to walk to school and I’m giving you a ride”, he explained.

“I didn’t agree to an all day date”, I said anxiously.

“Well it’s how I date that way I get more time”, Derek smirked.

“Well aren’t you a genius”, I said glaring at him.

“Valerie be nice I think it’s a good idea”, mom said with a smile.

“Fine but if he starts following me around like a puppy dog I’m calling my lawyer”, I said grabbing my bag.

“We share a lawyer sweetheart so just try and have fun okay”, dad called after me.

“Remember to eat your lunch sweetheart”, my mom called after me, “next Tuesday after school we’re going on a shopping trip”. Finally I got some good news this morning wasn’t nearly as fun as my date last night.

“Bye everyone”, I called before going outside.

“Your parents are friendly”, Derek said following me down to his restored stock car.

“Why do I feel like you were created to torture me?” I said trying to open the door but there was no handle, “where is the door handle?”

“It’s a stock car it doesn’t need doors”, he said climbing in through the window.

“Got the skills from climbing in through girls’ windows while they’re sleeping”, I said climbing into the passenger seat.

“Who told you I was into that?” he said starting the car.

“I can see why your relationships only last a day”, I said looking for the seatbelt, “where are the seatbelts?”

“My dad is the police chief so I get away with whatever I want”, he said driving out of my driveway.

“I knew the rumors were true”, I said rolling my eyes.

“As a storyteller I’d think you’d understand rumors it’s not like you’ve never started them”, he said shaking his head.

“I prefer telling people to their faces what I think of them rumors aren’t my thing”, I said snidely.

“So how are you supposed to skipping the day with me”, he asked.