Storyteller Chapter 2

Val’s POV

When we got home mom and dad’s Jeep was parked in the garage. Teddy was vibrating with excitement and I had to hold him still to get him out of his car seat. “Mom and dad are home”, he said hugging me as I carried him up the stairs.

“They’re probably sleeping little man but they are home”, I said opening the door to a dark house.

“Can I sleep in their room?” he asked as I set him down.

“Get changed into your pajamas then climb in quietly”, I told him and he hurried off to his room. I took off my jacket and went to my bedroom. I changed into a white doll nightgown and climbed into my bed of a thousand pillows. I opened my laptop and continued writing my story. I was at the climax when I saw it was almost dawn. I saved the story and closed my laptop and put it on my nightstand. I turned off my bed and closed my eyes and went to sleep. I woke up to the sound of the TV in the living room and I sat up to see it was light out. I looked at my alarm clock it was seven in the morning so I had an hour to get ready before going to school.

I got up and grabbed a cloudy blue T-shirt and some black velvet skin tight pants. I pulled my black hair back into a ponytail and put on some black flats. I looked at my reflection I had short black hair with brown and blonde highlights. My eyes were sea green and I had slightly tanned skin. I brushed my teeth and messed up my bangs then left my room. As I entered the kitchen I was listening to my play list of classic songs. I found the pancakes in the oven and made myself a glass of orange juice. I was in the middle when my dad came walking in. “Morning Pepper”, he said kissing the top of my head.

“Hey dad how was your trip?” I asked casually. My parents were archeologists and they specialized in Greece. I’d been there a few times when I was younger but now I was old enough to be home alone. I’m eighteen by the way and I loved writing for as long as I can remember.

“We found the ruins of an old tavern in the middle of nowhere with untouched artifacts”, my mom said walking in with Teddy right behind her.

“Are they going to be in a Greek museum or one of ours?” I asked drinking my orange juice.

“Half is in ours and half is theirs and that was after three days of arguing that’s why we were late”, she said kissing my forehead, “are you taller?”

“Yeah I had another growth spurt”, I said.

“Are you still telling stories at the library?” she said sitting down opposite me.

“Yeah every night now around a hundred dollars a night”, I nodded.

“Wow that’s an improvement Teddy tells me that you’re still writing stories every hour of the day”, my dad said sitting down next to me.

“It’s an addictive hobby”, I shrugged, “did your son also tell you he cried during the girl story last night?”

“Tattletale”, Teddy said eyes narrowed.

“I like men who show emotion”, mom said kissing the top of Teddy’s head, “it makes us human”.

“So how long are you guys home for?” I asked curiously.

“A few weeks maybe a month or two”, my dad said, “Long enough for you two to catch us up on the real world”.

“I lost my first tooth early”, Teddy said showing them.

“You’re growing up so fast”, my mom said sitting him on her lap.

“Look how grown up our girl is”, dad said nudging me.

“Well as much as I love talking about how grown up I am I have to get to school Teddy transferred to the afternoon class of preschool so he has to be there by one”, I said grabbing my bag off the kitchen door.