Storyteller Chapter 6

Val’s POV

I was having a really good dream about a beach with the waves flowing over me when my annoying alarm clock went off. “Shut up”, I told it flipping over and covered my head with my pillow. The thing kept buzzing even though I told it to be quiet so I whacked the top of it and it finally stopped buzzing. I looked over at the window and it was light out so I got up and changed into a white buttoned up shirt and some light wash blue jeans. I braided my hair into a French braid and put some pink lip gloss that tasted like strawberries.

I put on my white sneakers on and put my headphones in and listened to the soundtrack for the Pacifier while I made myself some cinnamon toast and made French toaster sticks for everyone else. I was halfway through the album and finished my glass of milk when everyone else joined me. “Morning sweetie how do you get u this early everyday around here”, mom said sitting down next to me.

“My stupid alarm clock”, I said starting on my second slice of toast.

“I remember when we bought you that thing you were seven and you were having a hard time waking up in time for school”, dad laughed.

“I think I’d prefer being late for school”, I said moodily.

“No you won’t your have a perfect attendance record and that’s something to be proud of”, mom told me.

“I got a tattoo while you guys were gone”, I said coolly.

“WHAT?” dad yelled and I smiled to myself.

“You promised you won’t young lady”, mom said furiously.

“I was kidding I don’t like needles and I’m a good girl”, I reminded them.

“I see you’re still in the fright night frame of mind”, dad said shaking his head.

“It’s a great frame of mind to be in”, I said smartly.

“Well you’re really good at it”, mom said with a sigh.

“I made two hundred and eleven dollars last night I love scaring rich kids”, I said biting into my toast. I loved cinnamon it was my favorite spice and the sugar balanced it out perfectly. I also lived melted butter on toast so it was my best breakfast.

“You’re a very scary girl”, my mom said playfully, “but you still have a heart of gold and are all grown up”.

“Mom I’m not completely grown up yet”, I assured her.

“You two are my miracle babies”, she said hugging me and Teddy.

“We love you mommy”, Teddy said and she started kissing him all over his face.

“So anything exciting happening today”, dad asked me.

“I get to fail at volleyball again”, I said honestly.

“It’s too bad I’m doing research today or I’d come to see you play”, he smiled. Unlike most kids I wasn’t ashamed of my parents in fact I invited them to come to school all the time and everyone thought they were really cool. I loved my parents but I’d rather they were around more often.

“If only I were so lucky”, I laughed.

“I want to see Valerie play volleyball”, mom whined.

“We have to do research we can go watch another day”, dad assured her.

“Don’t do anything dramatic while I’m not there young lady”, she said.

“Yes ma’am”, I said sarcastically.

“Don’t worry she’s a fantastic athlete so we can see her play any sport with the same enthusiasm”, dad said sarcastically.