Chapter 10

I was up on the hill overlooking the valley. It was a little cold but I didn't care. Below me, the city stretched out like sparkling golden sea.

I had driven aimlessly along an empty street for what seemed like forever and then ended up here. My mind was still fighting with nagging thoughts to even care where I was.

The stink of alcohol and smoke still clung to my hair and clothes. I wiped the tears off my face. It was quiet up here. I didn't see anyone, except the outstretched flower bushes and swaying trees. It wasn't how my day should have ended.

I tried not to think of Piper's words that wedged deep into my chest like thorns, bright steel thorns. I tried not to think of the insult those American kids said to me, but it was impossible. I thought of my father thousands of miles away having the time of his life, and of my mother, especially my mother. I started to cry again. How could there be more tears in me? They flowed like slow rivers, burning my eyes and were hot on my skin.

The night was getting colder. My fingers were too numb, I couldn't bend them anymore. I didn't want to move, but I shouldn't stay here. I decided to leave the vista and the starlit sky then returned to my car. But when I started the engine, it sounded like it was choking then it went dead. That was unexpected from a brand new car. I tried to ignite it again, but it wouldn't start. Then I realized I had run out of gas. My forehead banged against the steering wheel with a groan.

"Well done, Nina," I murmured at my own stupidity.

After a while, I took out my phone from my purse. I needed to call someone for help. But then who? I didn't know anybody. Obviously, I wouldn't want to call Jay. He probably didn't want anything to do with me now. I had just become a plague that ruined his sister's love life. There was nobody I could depend on.

I felt depressed, scared, and exhausted. Then my thought flickered to Allecra and all my despair doubled.

She wouldn't know that I was here all alone crying a river. Maybe there wouldn't be a fragment of me in her thought. For the life of me, I didn't know how and when I became so attached to her. I was trying my hardest not to think of the blonde girl and the complexities she brought into my life, but I was losing the battle.

Now I was stuck in a foreign land, like a person who got stranded on a desert island and the world she knew was lost forever.

If I called the cops, they would ask me where I lived and want to see my license and ID card or stuff that I didn't bring along with me. They would call my aunt and Robert in the middle of their holiday. Robert would think I was a crazy delinquent, who they shouldn't have taken under their wings.

There was no taxi or bus at this hour. I ran my hand through my hair and took a deep breath. The street lights were on, but it got so dark beyond that field. I leaned my head back over the steering wheel.

Allecra, help me! I wanted to scream.

I sat there for a while, and just as I thought all hope was lost, a bright headlight flashed through my window. I looked up and saw a black shiny Lambo zoomed over and screeched to a stop a few feet away. The scissors doors automatically lifted up and a slender leg with heavy boot popped out from the driver side.

Allecra turned her elegant body around. My jaw dropped. I had never felt so relieved in my life. Her beautiful face turned to me, and our eyes met. My heart skipped a whole long beat.

Another bulky figure emerged from the other side. It was her brother Triton.

In ten graceful steps, Allecra was by my car. I stepped out with tears on my face. She reached out for me, and I reached over for her like we were two survivors in a drowning sea. Relief filled my chest to the brim, and I couldn't speak.