Chapter 6

When I got back home, Aunt Vikki told me that Pyotr had called. He apologized for not checking up on me earlier because Dominika went into labor right after I had left. What a perfect timing. And then the whole baby thing crowded his overpopulated mind. I couldn't blame him for that. I also had a similar issue and didn't have the heart to even think about him either.

Robert came back from Las Vegas in a good mood as if he just returned from a fishing trip with a big fish. He was one of the board members of a shipping company. Robert married my aunt after he lost his heart to her during a business trip to Moscow. My dad said my aunt was really close to my mother before she moved away. Dad wasn't one to talk about my mother much. She died giving birth to me. In fact, I was supposed to be dead before I was even born, and by being alive, I was her murderer.

If she hadn't had me, they could still have another child later and would have lived happily ever after. I used to question why my mom didn't give up on me when she hadn't even seen me yet.

I tried to imagine the pain that raged through her — how I refused to leave her body while trying to split her in half. And not until she shed her last tear and took her last breath that I was brought into the coldness of this world. But she was gone. Maybe the occurrence of this death and birth that had taken place at the same time was what made me feel different from other people.

At dinner with the family, I stayed quiet and only answered when my aunt asked me. The foods were prepared by the maid. You wouldn't believe how costly it was to hire a cook in this country. I was self-conscious to even eat. Piper was chatting away easily with her dad. And before we knew it, she was asking permission to go to some friend's party.

"I promise I will be back like a Cinderella," she said.

"Then I should ask John to drive you," Robert said. "You don't want to drive that late."

"No, dad! That's embarrassing!" She made a face. "Jason is going to be there, too, right Jason?"

She nudged her twin brother with her elbow. Jay nodded vigorously.

"Yeah, it's a celebration of my team winning the rival high school the other week," he said. "Our coach will join us too, so you don't have to worry."

"Well," Robert said, scratching his double chin in consideration and then nodded. "Alright, you kids can go, but don't break my trust or do something stupid. I won't bail you two out of jail the next day, understand?"

"Yes, sir!" Jay said and mirrored his sister's big grin.

"Honey!" Aunt Vikki turned to her husband. "You're spoiling them again!"

"Oh, mom!" Piper whined. "All my friends go!"

"I'll take care of Piper," Jay added reassuringly. "If she's a bad kid, I'll make sure to change the password of her Candy Crush."

"Hey, since when you take the role of a big brother so seriously?" Piper scoffed. "It should be me to keep you on the leash."

Jay reached his hand out and tousled her hair. Piper shrieked, shielded her head and kicked him under the table.

"Don't fight at the table! You're not five anymore," my aunt hushed them.

"So, when is the party?" my uncle-in-law asked.

"This weekend," Piper turned to say excitedly.

"Oh." Robert looked at his wife. "Honey, did you tell the kids yet?"

Aunt Vikki shook her head.

"Tell us what?" Jay asked.

"Actually, we were planning our anniversary this weekend," my aunt said a bit shyly.