Chapter 5

Aunt Vikki had to visit some friends and left early. It was a spring day with a light drizzle in the morning. Piper would have given me a ride if she hadn't promised to pick her friends up. And the way she offered it, "I can still give you a ride, you know," was like she was afraid I would say 'Yes', so I said 'No'. I had already worked out the bus system in this small rich neighborhood and would like to try my luck.

On the bus, I managed to act normal and took a seat with the rest of the strangers. After the bus let us out near the school, I walked the rest of the way. My hair was half damped and plastered on my forehead. I was walking through the campus while other students sheltered themselves under their umbrellas, and I realized I should've brought one too.

Now I was freezing.

Then a growling black car whizzed passed me. I sort of gasped when it almost splashed the water on my feet. I jumped away just in time. It was that Batman car. Piper had told me it was the latest Lamborghini or something. Its backlight glowed bright red as the driver stopped to notice me on the sidewalk. But then the car zoomed off again. I frowned and bit my lips at the rudeness.

Along the hallway, a wall of bulletin board was overflowed with posters and announcements. I wondered if there were job ads there, but I couldn't linger around to look. The first bell already buzzed. Students who hovered around their lockers began to move to their classes.

"Nina!" a male voice called down the hall. I had to make sure it wasn't someone else with the same name as me, but the voice kept calling until I turned. The guy came towards me with a blinding all-American toothpaste commercial smile.

"Hey!" he breathed. "I finally found you again."

I smiled back, trying to put the name to that face. I didn't mean to come off as a stuck-up snob, but I was just terrible at remembering faces and names at the same time. Well, except a certain kind that didn't seem to go away even if I tried to forget.

"Yeah?" I swept my wet hair to one side, a gesture that seemed to freeze the dude a little.

"Where have you been?" he said cheerfully.

"Er—around?" I said, but the guy chuckled back. That was when I remembered his name: Jack Conner. I had practically ditched him on the first day of school here.

"I was trying to catch you after class but you seemed to disappear like a smoke," Jack said.

"Oh," I said. "Why?"

"I just found out that one of my teammates has a cousin from Russia," he told me excitedly as if he had just discovered the law of gravity. "Isn't it a coincidence?"

I didn't think so, but I nodded.

"Anyway, we have a party this weekend, I was wondering..."

Oh gosh — not that good old cliché teenage gathering again. All of a sudden, I felt so ancient. When was the last time I felt the perk of going to one of those parties? I realized I had grown too fast in the past ten months. Ever since Dominika poked her head through my front door, suddenly this fun stuff didn't excite me anymore.

"I'm sorry but I have a class to go. Can we talk about it later?" I said, making a turn to leave. Jack looked a bit hurt, and I felt a little sorry but not sorry at the same time.

"Oh, okay," he said. "I guess I'll see you around then."

In Language Arts, Mrs. Smith's voice got everyone's attention. She began to talk about an integral concept of Alchemy in literature.

"Alchemy is the secret key to manifesting the Philosopher's Stone, Elixir of Life and immortality in myths. Alchemy is still being used in fictions," she was saying and pointing to the slide show. "This idea is represented in the image of Hermaphroditus— the demigod who holds the assets of both genders."