Chapter 9

The weekend took my aunt and her husband away on their trip. Without actually thinking that I had been abandoned again, I tried to run the household with my two cousins. I had the groceries refilled to last the whole week and started to take over the kitchen front after school.

Yet, trying to make something special out of American frozen foods needed real talents. For our dinner, I made Okroshka soup, Caesar salad, and Pirozhki made with onion and mushroom, including meat stuffed with rice. For breakfast, I delighted the twins with my favorite Vatruska, a kind of cake with a ring of dough and cottage cheese in the middle. I added some raisins and bits of fruit in them for good measure.

I still had enough cash to spend for at least another month. Before Aunt Vikki left, she also handed me a credit card. I had refused to take it, but she insisted that it was in the case of emergency.

Saturday night came. I was lying in my bed under the soft humps of the blanket and twisted sheets, trying to write something, but nothing could be put into words.

Every time I closed my eyes, the unsmiling angelic face would haunt me.

Then I heard two quick knocks on my door. I got up and went to open it. Jay was all dressed up and smelled of choking man cologne.

He frowned at me.

"Why are you still not ready?" he asked. That was when I remembered about the party.

"Oh, I forgot," I said.

"You forgot? Come on, we're waiting!" he said then he raised his hand as if to excuse himself and fished out the phone from his pocket. The screen flashed Piper's photo with her tongue sticking out. Jay talked to her for a minute before he looked at me again.

"Get dressed, Nina," he said. "Piper is taking her own car to pick up some friends. I'll drive you."

But another buzz came from his phone. He answered the call. A few moments later, he turned to me again.

"My friends are waiting. I have to pick them up, too," he said. "How about I give you the direction and you drive there by yourself? It's not that far from here."

He showed me where it was on the Google map.

"Call me if you couldn't find it," he said in a hurry. "I gotta go!"

With that, he left. The whole time, I hadn't said a word back. I closed the door with a sigh and dropped myself onto the bed.

All I wanted was to be alone.

Half an hour later, I felt decent enough to get out of the house.

I looked around the quiet neighborhood while driving slowly.

The party was only a couple of blocks away from our school. But it was deep inside a private property with big oak trees lining along a small unpaved lane. It was hard to miss when there was a sign hanging with colorful balloons at the entrance. I drove in and passed cars parking on the sidewalk. I found a space under a dark oak tree.

All around the estate were tall uneven grasses and bushes. Sat in the middle of the estate was a big house. Loud music was blasting. The smell of beers and barbecued meat reached my nose even before I stepped out of the car.

It was full of people roaming around. My cell buzzed. I picked it up.

"Where are you, Nina? Can you find the place?" Jay's voice came through the loud music in the background.

"I'm already here," I told him.

"Oh cool, I'll go and get you," he said and hung up.

A few minute later, he appeared, and I went out to meet him.