Chapter 2

Breakfast with the Blacks was a quiet affair. Robert left the house early. When I asked about the bus system in the neighborhood, Aunt Vikki told me I could go with Piper. Jay acted like a brat this morning. He kept complaining about his burned bacon and answering his mom with one-syllable words before sulking out of the house and was gone.

Aunt Vikki wondered what was wrong with her son today.

When I stepped out of the house, Piper was waiting for me inside her silver Porsche. I walked towards her shiny sport car that gleamed under the Californian sun. But Piper was quieter than usual when I got inside.

"How far is the school?" I asked to break the silence. She fumbled around in her Prada and fished out the car key.

"Not very far," she said flatly, but I could detect a hint of discomfort in her voice. This was more than enough for a 'vivid' person like me to understand.

"Then maybe I should walk," I said and was ready to open the door when Piper gripped my elbow.

"Wait, are you crazy?" she said. "You can't walk there by yourself. You don't even know the area."

"That's what Google Maps is for, isn't it?" I said. She didn't know what to say. "Look, cousin, you don't have to put on a smiley face if you don't feel comfortable being around me. I'm not asking you to step on egg shells when it comes to anything concerning my situation or even my sexuality. So if you don't like it, you don't have to give me a cold shoulder like that. I'm not here to make things difficult for you."

Piper's blue eyes widened at me. I made an attempt to move again, but she stopped me one more time.

"Nina, wait!"

"What is your problem, Piper?" I snapped. I wasn't in the best of mood the entire time I was here, and this was starting to get under my skin.

"I'm sorry," she said softly. "It's just—this is so new to me and I don't know how to react to something like this. I mean, your being—gay. Our family is pretty normal as you can see. This is kind of..."

"Unusual to have me?" I said. "I understand that. That's why I don't want to burden you with me around."

"But we're cousins," she said again. "I just need time to adjust to it. I'm sorry, Nina, please don't be mad."

I heaved out a sigh.

"That's alright," I said.

"And please, don't tell my mom I said this to you," Piper said and she put another hand on my arm pleadingly. "But is it okay if we just pretend we don't know each other in school?"

I thought I had enough experiences with discrimination, but nothing is ever okay when people say hurtful things to you, no matter how many times you have heard it. I was prepared to face such treatment ever since I came out, but it still kind of hurt.

Is it ever okay to be treated like that?

Nien, ora, non, nyet.

Anyway, it wasn't her fault that Piper was born straight just as I was born gay. She wouldn't understand it.

"Fine," I said quietly at last. "If that's what you want."

Piper let out a sigh of relief. She patted my hand with a grateful smile and then started the car. The engine purred to life. Piper seemed to relax a little. I sat back and closed my eyes, trying to drown out every thought that tried to ignite my brain with self-pity.

After about ten minutes of our silent ride, Piper spoke up again.

"By the way, I love your clothes. Never seen this fashion here. It makes you look different," Piper said.